Don't change the button I am about to click on Identify "Finished With Page" pop-up

Platform: Website

Browser: Firefox on Mac

URLs: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify

Screenshots of what you are seeing:
Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 6.59.25 PM (2) Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 6.59.38 PM (2)

Description of problem:

Step 1: Visit the identify page on the website

Step 2: When you get to the last observation on the page, a dialog appears with 2 or 3 buttons at the bottom. If no actions are taken on any of the observations, it shows two buttons: “Mark All As Reviewed” and “Skip to Next page”. If you take an action on one or more observations, it shows three buttons: “Mark All As Reviewed”, “Skip to next page”, and “View more unreviewed”.

If the site is being slow, and your first action is on one of the last observations on the page, then you use right-arrow to hit the end of the page, it first shows the two-button version, then updates it to the three button version when the action you took completes. And if you are really unlucky (like I was several times today), it changes those buttons under your mouse as you try to click on one, so that you click on a different one instead.

It is bad U/I design to ever move an active button on the screen. If that dialog is showing, do not change the buttons that are on it. And while you are tweaking this, make the capitalization consistent in the text on the buttons.

5 Likes

I agree with @maractwin’s points. I do like that more modern parts of the site are resilient enough to dynamically update as changes are committed on the back end, but this should not change the function invoked when a user clicks a particular area on the screen. Could you always display all three buttons, but gray out “View more unreviewed” unless/until the page behind the dialog reports that there is at least one reviewed observation?

3 Likes