Earlier than normal flowering

In SE Pennsylvania this winter has been exceptionally warm and I have noticed some observations of very early flowering. Does anyone have an iNaturalist project to record this?

8 Likes

I don’t know of a project for early flowering, but you can annotate the observations with “flowering” and it will show up in the phenology graphs built into the website.

8 Likes

You can start a project

I found only this tightly focused one
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/pyoli-an-early-spring-flower-phenology?tab=about

1 Like

Not to derail the subject - is it possible to view this by country/region?
For example, many species are active much earlier in southern Spain than the rest of europe, and a visitor/outsider may be confused by that.
It would be nice to view that data more specefic to that a locality.

3 Likes

yes. The phenology charts on any given taxon page will respond to the place filter you enter

8 Likes

Oh I wish that info was spelt out in mouseover text! I was deliberating over North and South hemispheres.
My default is no place filter since I ID across Africa - that explains why my March lilies ‘bloom’ in September, in CA. Phenology is not useful if it includes all the places everywhere.

4 Likes

Dozens of flowering trilliums have been observed in the U.S. between 1 Jan and 6 Feb 2024 (the earliest so far was recorded on 15 Jan). In the southeastern U.S., dozens of new-growth trilliums were observed in Dec 2023. The earliest budding trillium was observed in Florida on 17 Dec 2023.

8 Likes

Here’s a tutorial for using the Identify page to quickly annotate observations: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/using-identify-to-annotate-observations/1417

For what it’s worth, iNat data have been used to try and model plant phenology, eg in this paper [PDF] about anomalous Yucca flowering.

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but I think it would only really be doable by making it area and species specific. This is definitely something I’ve noticed among native and nonnative species alike though.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.