Etheostoma spectabile Break Down

Currently the Orangethroated Darter (E. spectabile) is a mess as far as taxonomy goes and has in recent years been broken down into multiple new species. One of the current “additional” names for E. spectabile is the Ozark Darter which is not correct as the Ozark Darter is one of the new species taken away from E. spectabile and currently goes by E. sp.7 or in some cases E. cf. spectabile but this can be more confusing as most people misunderstand the usage of cf.. Additionally the Plateau Darter is currently showing up as a subspecies AND a species while it should only be a stand alone species of Etheostoma.

Anyways, where I’m going with all of this is that I used to be able to edit the taxon for this and would fix the problem accordingly but now fish have their own curators and I’m not sure who to reach out to fix this problem or to at least collaborate to figure out the best course of action as this is not the only Darter species currently going through this taxon treatment. Lastly Happy April everyone!

The best option is to use the flag for curation feature on the appropriate taxon page and fill in the details. I believe fish have a single curator, and that person is very busy, so be prepared for that.

housekeeping note; issue has migrated to here: https://www.inaturalist.org/flags/350302