Ethiopia - iNaturalist World Tour

We’re in Ethiopia on the World Tour today.

Here are the GADM Level 1 and Level 2 places we’re using. Are these places correct?

What can we do to get more people in Ethiopia involved in iNaturalist?

1 Like

I think the GADM maps look correct.

As far as getting more people in Ethiopia involved, I think we would need to reach out to university students in Ethiopia. It might also be good to reach out to the Ethiopian Biodiversity Institute in Addis Ababa. It is located next to the British, Belgian, and Kenyan embassies.

There are some eco lodges and birding tours conducted throughout the country, but I’m not sure what the best way is to get the word out to people staying at those places or going on those tours.

As far as geographic distribution goes, I think it will be difficult to fill in the gaps in the map because Ethiopia is sparsely populated outside of the cities and the rural areas are mostly farmers and pastoralists living simple lives (no electricity, cell phones, etc.)

I don’t have plans to go back to Ethiopia for a few more years, but when I do, I would be happy to try to reach out to some different people and take some iNat post cards with me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.