Uganda - iNaturalist World Tour

We’re in Uganda on the World Tour today.

Here are the GADM Level 1 and
Level 2 places we’re using. Are these places correct?

What can we do to get more people in Uganda involved in iNaturalist?

this isn’t directed at Uganda in particular, but i was thinking as we get to some of these countries with fewer observations, it might be interesting to have a stash of cheap phones pre-loaded with iNaturalist + 2 or 3 sd cards for extra storage + maybe a small solar charger that you could send over to schools in places where there are currently very few observations. maybe let a different child take the phone home each day and record stuff on the way home and back to school. when they’re done, have them upload the observations or ship the sd card back to iNat HQ to be loaded. (or instead of shipping the stuff, maybe send them with a known researcher going to and from the area as part of their work.) let them keep the phone and extra sd cards, if they like. i guess there could be potential security concerns because you wouldn’t want to make kids targets of phone thieves or child predators or such, and there would probably be other problems to overcome, too, but it might be a way to get some interesting observations, assuming there are teachers out there who might be interested in facilitating such an effort. or imagine getting a nomadic tribe to record stuff that that they see on their travels, etc… just a random idea.

1 Like

It’s a pretty good idea in theory, but I feel like it would have some tough logistical problems!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.