European Honey Bee swarms

How do we record feral European Honey Bee swarms? I have found several in bushland. I am thinking to highlight about the threat to flora and fauna. I am from Victoria Australia.

2 Likes

I don’t know if there is an associated project, but there is an observation field for swarming behavior

Here’s the set of Australian Western Honey Bee observations with the decriptor “swarm”: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6744&q=swarm&subview=map&taxon_id=47219

As honeybee is not native in Australia, it should be probably noted “automatically” in the observation that this is a taxon outside its native range? I’ve seen several observations with such adnotations.

Not on iNat but this group do track and may be able to collect swarms: swarmpatrol.com/swarm_reports/add

One most simple way you could start to record these is just to upload observations of these as the species. Can you explain are you planning to mark these as wild or not wild?

Some of those observations described as “swarm” just show that people don’t know what a bee swarm is.

@Vireya Can you provide some more information to help us learn (proper definition, example(s), etc.)? Thanks.

Technically, a swarm is the bees accompanying a queen searching for a nesting spot.

1 Like