Excessively Generic, Really off Vision suggestions on website

Lately I’ve noticed while uploading a number of old photos through the web site, the suggestions are truly terrible and always the same seven or eight. Human and American Dog Tick come up a lot. This is through the web site upload. E.g. here’s a rather obvious Western Bluebird. The initial suggestion was “Birds” which is accurate but then swapped to the list shown in the screenshot.

I wouldn’t bother reporting it except that this happens on almost every photograph lately. This feels like a bug and not the pretty kind we take pictures of.

1 Like

It could be related to this bug from 9 days ago, but your suggestions all list as “visually similar” whereas theirs were “seen nearby”. https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/computer-vision-suggestions-behaving-strangely/14276 . I think we haven’t seen the last of this problem.

2 Likes

i don’t see any particular problems with computer vision suggestions right now either in the upload page or on the observation page. are you still consistently getting unusual suggestions? if so, try opening up the developer tools in your browser to see if any errors are popping up in the console.

Yey iNat - AI is getting sentient :) and trying to be funny. How wonderful would that be, seeing all this life on a daily basis the “quantum jump” was easier to make.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any problems lately. @elharo is this still happening for you?

1 Like

Yes, completely reproducible. Here’s today’s example with a crab:

Mexican Free-tailed Bat seems to show up frequently as a suggestion. The others are mostly new, but none are close.

1 Like

To answer an earlier question, the browser console doesn’t show any errors when I’m selecting a species.

I was curious if there might be something off about my older photographs so I tried this Double-crested Cormorant from last year. Same weird suggestions.

1 Like

This is interesting. Switching from Firefox to Chrome makes the recognition work:

1 Like

An incognito window in Firefox 78.0.2 does not fix it.

1 Like

It seems to work on a different Mac, also with Firefox 78.0.2 and mostly the same extensions/preferences. I wonder if something could be screwy with my user session?

1 Like

on the problematic machine, do you see similar problems on the computer vision suggestions outside of the upload page – for example, if you go to an observation detail page and click to begin an ID?

Good question. No, I don’t. If I upload first and then ID, I get plausible suggestions.

that’s interesting.

i think if it were me, here’s what i would do:

1. open the upload page
  2. add an observation without media
  3. open up the firefox web developer tools > network
  4. load an image to the observation (drag an image file to the observation “card”)
  5. click the taxon button to initiate the computer vision suggestions
  6. in the network window, find the two POST and the one OPTION requests. right click on each and save all as HAR.
  7. send those to help@inaturalist.org. to see if they can make anything out of that. (don’t share the contents of the file with anyone else because it will contain authorization keys and other information that someone could use to access your iNat account, among other things.)

if you see errors, too, in the console, make sure you capture those, and send those, too.

i don’t really know why you would be encountering problems only on that screen. i can only guess that maybe iNaturalist is sending you a cached version of the computer vision results that isn’t relevant to your particular observation. if you have access to a VPN, you could try doing your upload through the VPN, and see if that changes the results that you see. (or if you’re already using a VPN, try it without the VPN, and see if that changes things.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.