Exclude certain taxa in Identify user interface

It’s clunky, but I ended up subscribing to:
Taxon 43576: Chimpanzees (Genus Pan)
Taxon 43579: Gorillas (Genus Gorilla)
Taxon 846280: Orangutans (Subfamily Ponginae)
Taxon 43585: Gibbons (Family Hylobatidae)
Taxon 43443: Old World Monkeys (Family Cercopithecidae)
Taxon 775054: Tribe Platyrhinini
Taxon 43684: Tarsiers (Family Tarsiidae)
Taxon 71380: Lorises and Pottos (Family Lorisidae)
Taxon 467897: Lemurs (Superfamily Lemuroidea)

I figure anybody with paraphyletic interests (e.g. herpetologists) has similar annoyances.

1 Like

I’m voting for this, but would like to suggest that the ability to easily exclude taxa should be extended to the suggestions/identitron. In some ways this is more needed because (AFAIK) one can’t use URL manipulation to exclude taxa from ‘suggestions/ identitron’ . As an example: one is stuck with having ants clog up the species browser when trying to ID a wasp that you have narrowed down to Apocrita or Aculeata or Vespoidea

2 Likes

i would also like to see this implemented somewhere in the UI, with the additional option to selectively remove taxa/locations/etc. from subscriptions.

2 Likes

Following up (three years later) to report that the inability to easily exclude taxa from subscriptions and searches is the #1 dissuading factor in my use of the platform. I would have already spent many thousands more hours combing through the fungal content of the site were this feature implemented in any way beyond the cumbersome “command line” method of directly manipulating the the URL.

Maybe thinking about all the hundreds of thousands of observations of fungi that get no attention could motivate you to do it now too even though it’s harder to use url method.

1 Like