Favorite iNat profile picture

That sucks.

I’m hoping that it makes me memorable and therefore has more pros than cons. I like to be silly in real life, so it’s fitting to be silly on here sometimes too. It definitely makes people remember me. I have had numerous encounters with other naturalists who say, “are you bennypoo?”

Then again, some people have already stated that they can’t take anyone seriously if they present themselves on here in a silly way. So, I really don’t know if I’m helping myself or shooting myself in the foot.

4 Likes

I feel you about the username. The best I could come up with after about ~1 month of thinking was quinnbirds. I had a stupid name and a dumb profile picture because I never thought any of this would matter. But when I began spending more time on inaturalist then almost any other site I realized that I should probably get a better name. Sometimes I would think of a really good name while trying to go to sleep and finally decide that was the name I was going to use, then promptly forget about it the next day (this happened at least 2 times).

5 Likes

you’re good. There are enough people who can take you seriously, without dismissing you as silly. (The dismissers need to stand on their dignity)

5 Likes

I especially like profile pics that I can regognize even when they are in the little circle. So @robotpie 's is perfect! People in nature are just a brown-green blur and I don’t always check on their profile page what they are exactly doing there.

7 Likes

I love this thread! I always enjoy pictures with a sense of humor as well. There is a user who comments on my page who is holding a giant chicken of the woods and acting as if they are taking a bite out of it.

I had a picture for ages that was myself posing out in nature but when my friend took a picture of me taking a picture of a salamander I knew I had found the one!

7 Likes

Just checking whether my new picture appears here or if I have to change it extra in the forum. ;-)
Ok, I had to change it, too - to a bold robin.

3 Likes

Same thing happened to me, except I didn’t try to come up with new ones. I just started out super casually and eventually began using this site more than any other and eventually switched careers to a naturalist. Crazy world.

2 Likes

You’re bringing some big game with your own profile image. Love it.

1 Like

There are a lot of good ones! Off the top of my head, here are some I really like.

abcdefgewing - Plain and simple

@lizardking - Directly related to their identification habbits

@nflicker_101 - Beautifully painted Blue Jay

2 Likes

To your first - there is a similar one.
Took me a while to see … spider eyes. (Sorry don’t remember who is ‘spider eyes’)

1 Like

Maybe you mean, pladacryptus_wandatus?

3 Likes

I had to change it again - the background of the robin was too busy. So now I chose my “favourite” bird - the stonechat - the one I see the most - and which seems to stay always a bit longer than other birds. My surname means bird in German, so I think it fits. And even though my pronouns are she/ her I can identify with a male stonechat!

5 Likes

sounds like “some people” are way too serious. I respect people with serious knowledge, but people with serious knowledge + sense of humor = chef’s kiss ;)

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Your sense of humor is welcome also!

I am impressed by others’ work and representations time and time again. But I am more drawn by the interest to know where people who make ID or comment to my posts make their own observations. I always click on a user’s avatar and peruse their observations.

2 Likes

Which are, if you want to be nit-picky, not spider Eyes… to few ;-)

1 Like

I like profiles of the person’s face in it generally, I love anybody with a humorous pfp also.

One of my favourites is actually this profile as he seems like a very friendly naturalist Santa.

One of the profiles I was caught off guard the first time I saw it I couldn’t unsee it :rofl:

Oh and this profile makes me actually laugh out loud, not just the picture but the description also.

7 Likes

Picture it like this. It’s a spider dressed as a ghost, but it didn’t poke out enough eye holes.

1 Like

Nit pick for me please?
It is meant … to say spider?