Favorite Nature Quotes?

YES HIM OmG

2 Likes

David Attenborough’s narration, what i hear: “This whale has a cough”. So i’m sitting there expecting to see bubbles, when into the frame swims a calf.

4 Likes

That sounds so funny imagining him saying that

1 Like

: ) Blue Planet, i think it was.

We’ve already had quite a few John Muir quotes, but here’s a couple of my favorites that haven’t been mentioned yet:

“Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.”

I don’t know about losing my mind (I’m most attentive and curious when I’m out in the wild), but I agree with the general gist. I can forget about everyday life when I’m out in the woods and I feel recharged and rejuvenated when I get to spend that time away from the people and noise of the city.

“When I first caught sight of it, I was 50 miles away and afoot, alone and weary. Yet all my blood turned to wine, and I have not been weary since.”

This was in reference to Mt Shasta in California, but I’ve thought of this quotes at times in many of my hikes. I have certainly overdone it in some of my adventures to the point where I’m nearly crawling, yet I often see or hear something that makes me forget the pain and fatigue and it’s great motivation to keep going and seeing what’s just around the next bend in the trail.

There’s a Tolkien quote I quite like, too, even if it’s not directly a nature quote:

“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

4 Likes

As long as we’re doing John Muir:

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”

2 Likes

Looks like John Muir is getting a lot of “action” here. This is one of my favorites:

“Any fool can destroy trees. They cannot run away; and if they could, they would still be destroyed - chased and hunted down as long as fun or a dollar could be got out of their bark hides, branching horns, or magnificent bole backbones.”
John Muir

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! And, thanks for contributing that John Muir quote. He had quite a mind.

Welcome

Not sure if this counts.

“No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky.” Bob Dylan

2 Likes

Hmmm interesting!

1 Like

The multi-legged organisms that go crunch when you step on them on the sidewalk. Christopher Marshall, OSU Department of Integrative Biology

1 Like

“The dawn is my Assyria; the sun-set and moon-rise my Paphos, and unimaginable realms of faerie; broad noon shall be my England of the senses and the understanding; the night shall be my Germany of mystic philosophy and dreams.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 Like

This may not be quite what you are looking for, but this is a favorite of mine:

“Be boring, knowing everything. You have to give all that stuff up if you’re going to muck about here.’

‘So you used to know everything?’

She wrinkled her nose. ‘Everybody did. I told you. It’s nothing special, knowing how things work. And you really do have t give it all up if you want to play.’

‘To play what?’

‘This,’ she said. She waved at the house and the sky and the impossible full moon and the skeins and shawls and clusters of bright stars.”

― Neil Gaiman, [The Ocean at the End of the Lane]

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.