First observers

I stumbled across a checklist-like view of species in my county that included the first observer of each different species. Today I can’t remember how to find it. Does anybody else remember?

I thought this might be particularly motivating for people at public science nights. For example, a group I’m involved with recently had a “moth night” in a public park near me. I suspect we might have seen some county records. It’d be really fun to let the public know when they were adding value, you know?

3 Likes

You just want to go to the place page for the place. What county is it?

I did that and got a nice list of observations counts for each species, down to about twice.

Earlier, I remember looking at something checklist-like that had yet-to-be-observed species and who-first-observed-a-species in a place, but can’t remember how to get to it.

1 Like

Just keep in mind that “first observer” on iNat for an area doesn’t mean “first observer ever” for that area.

I’m the “first observer” on iNat for a lot of species in the country I’m working in, as well as a few globally, but most of those species have been seen and documented by others in the past, just not on iNat.

3 Likes

By “place page” I meant this page: https://www.inaturalist.org/places/powhatan-county You can get to a place’s page by using the header search and clicking on “About” next to a place search result. If you mouse over a taxon, you’ll see a “1st observer” badge pop up:

If you click on the taxon you’ll see more info:

6 Likes

Ah! That might have been the disconnect; I forgot it was a mouseover-only feature. Thanks!

1 Like

Had no idea about this feature. Just wanted to say thanks for flagging it! I’ve been clicking my way through Vietnam for about an hour now haha.

1 Like

Might the mouse-over be a setting one can toggle on/off? Or can this be blocked by adblock extensions in browsers?

The mouseover can’t be toggled on iNat’s end. Maybe a browser extension could it, I’m not sure.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.