When a species is observed for the first time in a place, how long does it take for it to appear on the place page?

I haven’t looked at place pages and checklists very much before today so forgive me if this is somewhat of a silly question, but I really like how you can see who the first person was to observe a species in a given place. When someone first observes a species in, for example, a certain US state, how soon after that is that person typically listed as the species’ first observer on that state’s page? Is this an automatic process or are they manually added?

2 Likes

i think a given observation must reach research grade before it’ll automatically affect the place checklist. since you haven’t provided your specific observation and place, it’s not possible for me to check whether your observation has reached RG, but that’s what i would check first.

that said, place checklists are very old functionality. they are known to be buggy, and they are supposed to be replaced (similar to how the old user checklists were replaced with the dynamic life list) soon. see this thread for more discussion: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/place-checklist-doesnt-show-all-research-grade-species-observed-in-that-place/11609.

4 Likes

Well I suppose there was one species in particular that caught my eye while I was browsing, B. crataegi in Ohio. I thought it was a bit odd that a first observer wasn’t listed even though I think I spotted one a few months ago there and it recently reached RG. Just made me curious about how it all worked :)

hmmm… not sure what’s going on there. i just refreshed the taxon entry in the checklist though: https://www.inaturalist.org/listed_taxa/92397710. so you should see yourself as the first observer now.

(it probably wouldn’t be worth trying to figure out what the problem was, since the place checklists are due to be replaced.)

2 Likes

Wonderful, thank you for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.