Fixing journal formatting with unintentional headers

Tony, I have a related issue with Markdown formatting in a journal post. See:
https://www.inaturalist.org/posts/11686-artificial-key-to-cisthene-moths-of-texas-the-key
My original text had a list of Cisthene species names, each preceded by a Hodges number with the hashtag character “#”. Now, apparently the Markdown parsing is eliminating those hashtags and creating some giant font size for the following text. See screen capture.
How can I work around this and still use the hashtag to begin each Hodges species number in that list?

Annother formatting glitch in a journal post: See:
https://www.inaturalist.org/posts/37458-my-inaturalist-upload-process
This post previously had a sequentially numbered set of nine steps describing my editing and upload process. Now, with a few sentences interspersed between numbered items (or is it the paragraph ending characters?), the numbering sequence restarts at “1” each time. That’s not what I intended, and certainly doesn’t seem like a desirable Markdown outcome.
I tried using a backslash after my paragraph numbers, like “5[backslash].”, “6[backslash].”, etc. but that then eliminates the nice indented structure of my numbered paragraphs.
Is there Markdown formatting or html coding I could use to preserve my original 9 numbered, indented paragraphs?

The backslash works for these too, just use
\#8060

Do you mind if the in-between text is also indented? If not, you can just add four spaces at the beginning of the line of extra text.

Generally speaking, a web search for ‘markdown’ and whatever you’re trying to do will probably give you good results. For example, I looked for ‘markdown hash character’ and ‘markdown interrupt list’.

1 Like

Well, heck, that was simple! Thanks!! Both journal entries are back to their original intended formatting.
I’m not sure I really understand what the effect of the backslash and its placement (syntax) are.

2 Likes

The backslash is basically to tell markdown to ignore the next thing. So where an asterisk would normally convert something to a bullet point or a hash symbol would make it big, the backslash says to use it as a normal asterisk or a normal hash symbol. You can see more here.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.