Easier access to text formatting in comments

In this forum, we can use markdown, bbcode or html to format with. I get a reminder every time I write a reply! It would be nice if we had similar in iNat comments etc, as it is clumsy to have to type italic tags around taxa so often! I had gotten so used to typing the tags, that it was not until this forum that I realised how much of a pain it is! Even if it is just italics, given that we should be using it for genus and species names, would be appreciated!

0 Likes

I’d like to see this, although I’ve run out of votes. Being able to add italics with a simple slash before and after a name would be nice, e.g. /Homo sapiens/

3 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t mind buttons, sort of like we have on the Discourse forum. I’ve gotten used to just typing the stuff (I’m a bit of a Wikian, so this level of code isn’t too terrible at all), but it really does seem a bit odd not to have buttons for the simple stuff, especially if you’re like me and cringe a bit on the inside upon seeing a specific or generic name not italicized.

3 Likes

Yes, it would be really nice to have a limited form of standard markdown in comments, rather than the clunky html syntax.

All that’s really needed is *italic*, **bold**, [link](http://example.com) and perhaps ![image](https://example.com/img.jpg).

3 Likes

I like that! We have been considering making a preview pane as well, similar to Discourse, so you’ll know what you’re posting before you actually post it.

7 Likes

Just in case it wasn’t obvious enough for those not familiar with Markdown from @bazwal’s comment, In Markdown you can use wrapping single asterisks for italics: *Homo Sapiens*, so using slashes would be unnecessary.

1 Like

A note that I updated the title of this feature request to refer to text formatting more generally than just italics.

2 Likes

Writing a spec for this but I’m not sure when it will be implemented - possibly after City Nature Challenge. Hoping we can include a preview pane like Discourse as well. I will close this topic.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like

closed #10
0 Likes