Aye-aye
Blobfish
Common Cockchafer
Dik-Dik
Ice Cream Cone Worm

2 Likes

Sleepy Lizard

2 Likes

I assume you’re talking about the Shingleback? That has a lot of funny names’ some used here include Bobtail, Stumpy, pinecone lizard, boggi, and more.
Another funny name is Bilbo’s rainfrog- * Breviceps bagginsi*

2 Likes

Wunderpus
Spiny Lumpsucker
Pleasing Fungus Beetle
Pink Fairy Armadillo
Tasselled Wobbegong
Hellbender
Star-Nosed Mole
Red-Lipped Batfish
Goblin Shark
Fried Egg Jellyfish

2 Likes

Mini mum, Mini ature and Mini scule, tiny microhylid frogs from Madagascar, reaching a minimum of 7 mm in length!

5 Likes

Same with Amaranthus spinosus and the rarer Amaranthus spinosa

There actually is a buttock muscle called the Gluteus minimus

1 Like

That’s just an orthographic error, I’ve swapped “spinosa” to the correct “spinosus”. Thanks for pointing it out.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s why I included this name in the list. It’s something poorly understood with a buttock reference in it’s scientific name. One can only guess what the authors meant when they named this taxon. But the real etymology of the fossil’s name is still unclear.

1 Like

For both Han solo and Bulbasaurus, it’s obvious that they were named after said characters, those scientists are just looking for excuses to say they had a scientific reason.

3 Likes

Hey, if the geneticists can publish hundreds of papers on Sonic hedgehog…

2 Likes

Orgyia antiqua reminds me of ancient orgia, although I know that the etymology is different (except for antiqua).

1 Like

Pink Thoroughwort (Fleischmannia incarnata)

2 Likes

Too bad the counterpart thread on plant names is closed, because we’re getting a lot of those in this thread now.

1 Like

Oops, I forgot it was supposed to be animals only.

1 Like

0 observations :(

My day is ruined

(PS. Probably because they’re hard to find or you need microscopes to ID)

There’s a species of jumping spider called “The Murderer”.

1 Like

The plant names thread has been closed, so here’s one I just found while identifying: Prostrate Pigweed

2 Likes

There is a harvestman genus named Taito, after the Japanese videogame company, including the species Taito spaceinvaders and Taito galaga, named for their dorsal markings which resemble the alien attackers in these games. Also included in the genus are Taito rorshachi (after the inkblot test) and Taito honda (whose marking resembles the H-shaped logo of the Honda car company).

4 Likes