Animal Companions!

What are animals you want to have as a companion? I’m not talking cats and dogs but if you want to include them you may.

I’m talking a few things so I’ll make a list for you:

1. Creative, madeup animals.

2. The best real companions animals. Lions, elephants; you name it!

3. Other! You may add as many others as you want. For other you can make up your own. Have some fun!

I can’t wait to see what you think!

1 Like

I chose the “I don’t think this contest is the best idea” because I work in wildlife conservation in a part of the world where wildlife poaching for a variety of reasons, including for the pet trade is rampant.

I think a lot of people here already understand that it’s a bad idea to keep “exotic” animals as pets, but its not just the big ticket animals that suffer from this. Lorises, primates of all sorts, otters, leopard cats (a small forest cat, not the larger leopards), turtles, snakes, birds, lizards, etc are all poached heavily for the pet trade, so much so that certain species are extinct in the wild here.

While it may be fun to think of what animals would be interesting “pets” it’s also somewhat encouraging the rampant and highly destructive pet trade.

I was just visiting one of the rescue centers locally to see if we could assist them with wildlife releases as they are full to the brim with animals rescued from the pet trade, and my local anti-poaching teams have reported an uptick in songbird poaching in the area.

11 Likes

Got it! Contest removed! Thank you!

1 Like

Or maybe change it to something like “animal companion” instead of pet.

The idea of having an animal that chooses to hang out with you of its own will is always an appealing one.

4 Likes

Done! Great way to put it! May you answer the new questions? Thank you!

1 Like
  1. I would probably have to go with a dragon of some sort. I actually have a dragon OC (original character) that is part eastern dragon, part reindeer. I was going to say a close second would be my charizard or dragonite but alas they are both… dragons. I just really like dragons :]]

2. I would love to travel the world with an intelligent animal like a dolphin for the sea or probably a white tiger. I really would want to say fruit bat but those are still very highly abused by the illegal exotic pet trade and I don’t really want to make light of it. But it is a fun fantasy theory to think about. (That’s why I’m a druid when I play D&D!!)

2.5. The best real life companions are my german shepherds and the rats I used to own. Now if a rat could live as long as a dog, I would be happy.

1. A velociraptor, smilodon or a loyal therapsid friend.
4 Likes

For a made-up animal, yeah. I’d have a dragon. Totally. Imagine riding one.

Now, for a real animal… Here’s the craziest thing I’ve had. A pet caiman. Yep. I had mentioned that once I moved out I’d get a caiman, (joking, I would never want a crocodilian as a pet). But it was close to my birthday and my wonderful neighbor decided to look them up and found a baby one on Craigslist for $100 (???) And she bought it. She was clueless how big this [dwarf] caiman would get. She surprised me with it on my birthday and let’s just say my parents were NOT happy. We brought it to a reptile rescue there and now it’s an educational reptile to teach kids to do their research or something like that. I didn’t even get to name it or anything. But listen, kids, don’t get a pet without research.

Now for the best pet ever, I would have to say a pigeon or dove. They’re so frequently overlooked but in captivity, they’re quite sweet and calm, and quite stupid (but can be smart when it comes to food) but that’s kinda the best part lol. I also like cats when they’re not eating pigeons or doves. And dogs are nice too but they poop a lot and our puppy is driving me bonkers.

Bonus: I pet sit a lot. One of the weirdest pets someone had was a Raccoon. The trash panda. His name was Rocket and he was definitely worse than the puppy. Turns out they were just rehabilitating him until he got better and would release him out into a preserve, I think. Still weird.

2 Likes

A gecko the size of a small cat or dog. Or a mexican mole worm. (The gecko would be a leopard one)

2 Likes

Leopard Geckos are nice, but a big one wouldn’t be nice cuz that would take a lot of bugs lol

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just because I’m rereading the Harry Potter series for the nth time, but my immediate thought was that my version of this question would be, “What organism would be your patronus?” :grinning:

(I say ‘organism’ because once you start looking through the microscope, you realize that ‘animal’ is an incredibly narrow branch of the tree of life).

3 Likes

Long before Harry Potter you’d have asked, “What organism would be your familiar?”

4 Likes

I wonder if Pete ever outgrew Elliott the way Jackie Paper outgrew Puff?

1 Like

well I like porpoise I wish I can research on them studying their behaviour and conserving and playing with them, They are more intelligent then me so I think they will think of me as small brother. My favourite are beluga and killer whale.

3 Likes

I have small animals a lot, like pseudoscorpions and jumping spiders, but I keep being told my my parents that I will get a crested gecko, and they just keep postponing it. :disappointed_relieved: I am losing faith.
If I could get aby pet, it would be some massive thing that can be trained to do cool stuff, like a caracal. I plan on rescuing one for sale when I am older.

3 Likes

yeah same with me I am keeping a feeder goldfish which is my companion and it has grown much bigger than I expected now I have taken a big tank with a filtration system of my own. She blinks her eyes whenever I stare her for a long time and then I think what she is thinking about me, perhaps some goldfish stuff. I hope you get your crested gecko soon.

2 Likes

Me too XD

1 Like

Now I am imagining myself in the pod of killer whales swimming with them across the sea.

2 Likes

Continuing with the dragon theme – Atreyu and Falcor seemed to have a strong bond, too.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.