Funny, long, or just plain weird animal names

Okay, who started calling it the Thankless Snail? From what I just read it should really be called Unthanks Cave Snail. It comes from Unthanks Cave which was named for the previous landowner Mr. and/or Ms. Unthank.

5 Likes

So its name is a case of wishful thinking by unsexy people? :grin:

Well, it mentions some color that the NIV translates as blue ā€“ 50 times: https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=blue&version=NIV

Except that the ā€œsea foamā€ in that meme isnā€™t green at all. Itā€™s blue, actually intermediate between the ā€œspindriftā€ and the turquoise. (Note no quotation marks around that last one, which actually should be above teal on that spectrum.)

4 Likes

Plant name

Num-nums
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/130216-Carissa

2 Likes

I just saw an observation of a Mile-a-minute Weevil and thought if this thread!

3 Likes

The common name makes sense, as it eats mile-a-minute weed (also called devilā€™s tail). Have seen the plant here in South Korea but canā€™t recall ever coming across the weevil. (I just checked, no R. latipes observations on iNat for South Korea.)

===========

Popped into the thread to share Gymnosporangium clavariiforme, with the English common name ā€˜Tongues of Fireā€™.

4 Likes

Iā€™m a a bit fond of:

Clearly, they hadnā€™t evolved until humans came along and built barns and fences :thinking:

Seems like all sides of the fence had to be built!

3 Likes

I searched but didnā€™t find so far, any reference to this guy:

Which is, of course, Xenoturbella profunda.

Commonly (?) known as the purple sock. (If you live in the ocean deep off the Californian coast, I guess.)

7 Likes

Kind of like the Chimney Swift

3 Likes

Fungi names are ridiculous,

my fav is definitely : dog vomit slime mold

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not a fungi though.)

4 Likes

my apologies, I am still learning.

3 Likes

No need to apologize, thatā€™s a cool group!

2 Likes

I think that makes it an even better fit for the topic since by common name alone itā€™s assumed to be a Fungi rather than a Protozoa. I know I checked Taxonomy for Dog Vomit Slime Mold (Fuligo septica), just to learn what it was, if not fungi.

In the same theme, thereā€™s also Dog Sick Slime Mold (Mucilago crustacea). What are naturalists who name these feeding their dogs?

3 Likes

Grass or anything, it does look a lot like dog vomit tbh, itā€™s acid and ferments that give it yellowish tint.

3 Likes

Recently came across Naked Buckwheat (Eriogonum nudum) which is way too similar to buck naked, though not an animal.

Hey, I just added that one to my list the other day! My first slime mold too.

And then, same trip, I added a second slime mold species, the chocolate tube slime mold.

As far as variety of form, color and structures go, Marinaā€™s right. A very cool group.

Those two were from the last trip just before I got a Tg-5, and I really regret that I missed getting a better shot than I now can.

However, when I went out again right after I got the new camera, the dog vomit one was still there, but no more chocolate tube (it was smack in the middle of a busy trail on the top of a stump, so I wasnā€™t too surprised that it had gone.)

But, the good news is that I think I found another much smaller chocolate specimen nearby with the distinctive thread structures just starting to form and just visibly detectable in the cameraā€™s micro mode.

And I know that Iā€™m getting a little tired about feeling so naive about this stuff, but whatā€™s the protocol for whether or not to add a new observation of a species you just added in the same area days apart?

I can see why that could be a problem in the system. I mean, dandelions on my lawn come to mind. But this new photo is an interesting development shot and I canā€™t add it to the older obs as an additional image, as itā€™s a different time stamp and slightly different location. Advice?

1 Like

Put links in the description/coments, use observation fields like ā€œsimilar observation setā€, both or one could work!
p.s. itā€™s Marina as Maria is a name from another group.)

1 Like

Make a new observation and relate it back to the first post. I often track the development of observationsā€¦ especially things that can change dramatically, like slime molds.
Even after watching an incredible PBS show on them (I think it was from the series Nova) I donā€™t understand them. But I have seen an incredibly large colony of it growing on low-lying wet ground.

1 Like

Dā€™oh! I may be new to observation protocols, but messing up peopleā€™s names and faces has been a lifelong weakness for me. Thanks for the correction, and thanks to Marina too, who has been a big help in a lot of my baby-stepping here.

2 Likes

Honestly, same. :D
I misread HumanByWeight & a few other users repeatedly, despite seeing them IDing and/or commenting on mine & othersā€™ observations or on the forum repeatedly.

1 Like