General consensus on etiquette regarding recruiting IDs from specific identifiers?

I like the suggestion made on the other thread, to automatically filter the “leaderboard” shown with an observation to identifiers of the taxon for the same continent (or maybe country or even state/province) where the observation is from. If one really wants to know what the worldwide leaderboard looks like, get it through the taxon page instead.

Short of this, however, I would recommend to observers who want to keep the goodwill of potential identifiers to:

• Use an Explore Filter first to see who the top identifiers are in your specific locality. For example, if I have a Phlox Family plant from Australia, use https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6744&taxon_id=48932 (click to see how this looks in the filter, and change taxon and location as appropriate). Then click on the Identifiers tab to see this.
  • Use @ tags sparingly, and only when there is a real urgent need. Otherwise let the community ID process take its course for a while. (To speed things along, be sure to add your “best guess” ID, even if it is just “Insects” or “Plants”.)
5 Likes