Geoprivacy options

I feel that marking them with “Obscured” geoprivacy, in certain parts of Guatemala, still makes it pretty easy to figure out where they may be.

I’m very curious about this statement, since my opinion is the opposite: that the obscured geoprivacy areas are too big. (See previous discussion here.) For example, a lot of observations that I post in Belize end up being located in Guatemala because the geoprivacy area is so large. I’m also a bit confused by your statement that you use "much broader geographical areas, such as Greater Guatemala City Area” since the size of a geoprivacy square is about the same as the size of the Guatemala City metropolitan area (I’m not sure what the Greater Guatemala City Area encompasses though).[1] Of course, since the placement within that square is random, it’s entirely possible that iNaturalist could randomly choose a location that is close to the actual location, but that shouldn’t happen very often. Anyway, I’m just curious what sort of situations you’ve run into where the geoprivacy seems inadequate, as maybe this will affect my own opinion on it.

[1] The size of a geoprivacy square is about 500 sq. km. The size of the Guatemala City metropolitan area is 478 sq. km. according to Wikipedia.

1 Like