Geotagging Photos

I’m currently logging with the free GPXLogger app on an android phone, which seems to be very accurate and doesn’t jump around the way the default location services do. I then sync the tracklogs with the photos in lightroom, which is just a couple clicks.

I also just discovered that the nice old Garmin Etrex vista H I have that I had stopped using since Garmin’s windows 10 software has stopped supporting it (I can’t believe they would do that for dozens of models that are still out there in the world working perfectly) will cooperate with the free software EasyGPS to download GPX files to do the same tagging process, so I’ll probably go back to using that instead of my phone for long days. If anyone has an old GPS sitting around that isn’t officially supported on their current OS, EasyGPS can probably make it usable again.

2 Likes

I have been using the DSLR / GPS combination for several years as a way of mapping rare plants. By having my full track I can buffer it to make a survey polygon and then I buffer the appropriate photo locations to make an “occupied” polygon. This allows me to map multiple species in a single survey even when they partially overlap.

I have several small gps loggers but my favorite is the Holux M-241. It has a display that shows the time to seconds so I can sync my photo times very accurately by taking a photo of the clock. I’ve been keeping track and my Pentax K-x clock drifts about 30 seconds per month while the K-70 clock drifts by about 10 seconds per month. The Holux will also run for about 36 hours on a single rechargeable AA battery, my phone can’t even come close in remote areas where it’s struggling to find a signal.

I use Picmeta Photo Tracker to geotag after I’ve adjusted the photo times in Picasa. Picasa has a nice feature that lets you adjust the time of a group of photos by setting the actual time of the first photo and it calculates the difference and applies it to the rest. If the first photo is the picture of the clock on my gps it’s very easy to get it right.

3 Likes

Improving Location Accuracy on observations

Can anyone suggest a good GPS tracker for Android to do this. I tried to install one on the weekend, it worked only when I went to export the track got 2 things I did not appreciate (can’t export unless you agree to a monthly subscription and must link to Facebook).

Basically looking for

• as mentioned Android
  • does not require a Facebook account, I don’t have one and am not creating one
  • prefer a 1 time purchase, not a subscription model
  • don’t care about being able to download maps, get recommendations etc, just want the track and be able to export it
1 Like

GPS Essentials works well enough for me.

2 Likes

Is there an instruction video for it ? And does this work on an iphone ? I use iphone and add other (better fotos) via the website if i can get better photos. Nowadays i do not use the android iNaturalist app.[quote=“flygrl67, post:16, topic:66”]
I simply take photos with my phone cam. Later, when I want to create a single iNat observation I open Google Photos, press and drag across the pix I want to upload to my observation, click on the share icon, then click on the iNaturalist icon. The pix and the location info is uploaded and the iNat
[/quote]

1 Like

From what you’re asking you might like GPXLogger. It’s dead simple- an interface that shows your gps location info (no map) and a couple buttons. You hit “record” to start the track, and when you’re done you hit “stop”. The app then saves the tracklog to a folder on your phone in the common .gpx format with the date in the filename, where you can do what you want with it (I plug my phone into my computer and download to import to lightroom).

Free, dead simple, accurate, easy on the battery.

0 Likes

I have a crappy Android LG K20 phone and it has an equally crappy camera so I use a cheap point and shoot with analog zoom but no GPS. I use the free GPX Recorder on the phone and free GPicSync on my Windows 7 machine.

0 Likes

Sorry, I believe it’s not possible on an iPhone. I just looked on my friend’s iPhone pretty thoroughly and could not find a way to do it. I know for certain that the Android iNaturalist app definitely has some other useful features (like side-by-side comparison of observation photos with photos of species suggested by the AI) that are not available with IOS, because I do have an iPad and also because I’ve done observations right next to friends with iPhones who can’t to the same things.

0 Likes

Just to clarify, on my friend’s iPhone I checked both her regular iPhone photo gallery and Google Photos app, and it didn’t seem possible from either app to create an iNaturalist observation by selecting photos and sharing it to the iNaturalist app. When I clicked on the share icon the iNat app was not an option.

0 Likes

Share? App? I do neither. I copy the photos from my camera or from or picassaweb.google.com or photos.google.com to my PC and upload (using the Upload button and drag and drop) them to iNaturalist in the browser. I tell people who are serious about iNaturalist not to use the app. I only use it when I’m out in the field and I’m curious what’s been observed in an area - assuming its not too bright out to read my phone’s screen.

0 Likes