Good Books on Wildlife Photography

Does anyone know of any good books about wildlife photography? I’d rather read the sort of book about techniques and the experience of it (learning more about how to, rather than gear) as opposed to super technical ones about cameras and lenses and etc. If anyone has any suggestions, that’d be great! Thanks :)

2 Likes

I’ve learned some excellent techniques and skills from Jared Lloyd’s Journal of Wildlife Photography. He and other experts in their field write articles that come out in the quarterly Journal and he also sends out very informative e-mails.

The main thing I like is is learning about the behavior of target animals, where they will be at what time of the day and year. You can check out Jared’s website to see examples of the articles. If you are a member you can also see what other members post on the Facebook page. It seems expensive, ~$100/year or ~300 for a lifetime membership, but for me it has been worth it.

https://journalofwildlifephotography.com

4 Likes

I second @pattiedens response. I was just getting ready to type virtually the same response before I saw hers.

2 Likes

Very interesting, I’ve never heard of it! I’ll consider it. How valuable of a resource would you say it is?

Fundamentals of Photography by Joel Sartore

Stunning Digital Photography by Tony Northrup has a good chapter of wildlife photography as well.

2 Likes

It’s really very subjective. I have found it very useful and learned some good tips for finding wildlife and also for taking photos without spooking the subject. But, it would depend on what you already know as to whether it would help you.

Thank you!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.