Greenout - has anyone experienced it?

Anyone ever suffered from being greened out by staring at green plants too long? It happens to me if I am looking at a mass of evergreen brush, rosemary bushes, a mass of fine foliaged trees, staring at the images of the above. That means my research and IDing capabilities go to zero too. This phenomenon is the big reason I try to snap pictures of colored flowers, even without any uploading purposes. Insect observations help a lot too. Except I am no insect pro.

1 Like

I believe it’s a natural reaction of retina being exposed to too much light of one part of colour spectrum.

2 Likes

Oh, I already feel better. Thanks.
There’s no greenout when exploring the desert, of course.

3 Likes

This is why I’ve become a zoologist.

7 Likes

I 'd like to as well, but the subjects of my interest are fast moving or flying. So I read about them on wikipedia.

So are mine :wink:

What do you mean by “greenout”? Is this a physical phenomenon or mental fatigue?

1 Like

maybe a visual-mental, perceptive fatigue. Staring at many species of the same genus erases all perception of morphological difference.

hey, I just clicked on your profile,expecting to see bats in flight, but saw a list of frogs. Those are sure slow enough for my photo skills! :-)

Though I haven’t suffered greenout, I have experienced a more common version in which you look too much at a bright object, in most cases the sun with your eyelids closed, and all the “red cones” get worn out and for a little while afterward, everything seems to lack red and looks bluish instead.

2 Likes

Maybe in Israel :)
In my experience with frogs in New Jersey, they’re skittish, terribly fast swimmers, and tough to sneak up on.

3 Likes

I’d call your case a red bleaching. Good one?

What do you mean by “good one”?

good one - the new name of Red Bleaching.

Sometimes it is best to take a break or stare up at the sky for a while or down at the path. When I used to have to colour match I would take a break and look up at a neutral coloured (off white) wall for a brief break. A small amount of info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterimage

3 Likes

that makes sense. That’s why for me it helps through processing images of red beetles and colorful flowers.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.