Growing a plant

Hi guys,
Can anyone please suggest me some plants that can be grown in my terrace garden ?

It depends. What is the purpose of the garden? Do you want to grow food, or ornamental plants? It may also be good to know the conditions, i.e. light, size of the space, soil quality, etc. before choosing plants.

Yes,I want to grow bith food plants and ornamental plants
Its summer in India
The space of the garden is 50 X 50 square feet

there’s so much that you could grow in that space. it really just depends on what you really like, and what kind of light, soil, and weather you have. assuming ideal conditions, for me, i would plant in the corners: a moringa, an acai palm, a jaboticaba, and a lime. kadi patta and jujube in the back. in the center, i would plant chilis, tulsi, basil, patchouli, mint, and lemongrass in one bed; a mix of beans, peas, lentils, peanuts, and chickpeas another bed; and okra, eggplant, and pumpkin or squash in other bed. along one side, i would have a fence or trellis for vines like black pepper and passion fruit, along with different epiphytes (ex. orchids) and bromeliads. along the other side, i would plant gingers, turmerics, galangal. maybe throw in some Curcuma alismatifolia (non-culinary turmeric) for color. also, chives, garlic, etc. and various flowers. i’m sure there’s still space to grow more, and i’m sure i’m forgetting lots of other good plants, but that should give you some good ideas.

if you had more space, i would plant bigger trees like mango, mangosteen, longgan or lychee, etc.

4 Likes

This terrace garden is my 5th garden in the house
Other gardens are filled with coconut ,mango,jack fruit,apple and lemon trees

1 Like

Well I have grown peepal, banyan , lemon, periwinkle ,moss purslane ,aloe vera, bryophyllum, rigurd gourd, and much more you can grow .

Well if you want hard plants and support wildlife around you can plant native trees and some grasses like oxalis on which lesser grass blue lay eggs . If you plant native trees you can make them bonsai, needs patience but looks wonderful after some time. I suggest if you do not spend much money start planting plants in bottles they do not break easily and last long

Pelargonium, Petunia, Alyssum, Salvia, Lavandula, Verbena, Plectranthus scutellarioides / Euonymus fortunei, Thuja, Juniperus, Chamaecyparis obtusa / Glechoma hederacea, Hedera helix, Parthenocissus quinquefolia, Clematis alpina.
: )

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.