Here's how you know when you are seriously into beetles

You know you’re seriously into beetles when your username is a beetle family.

4 Likes

: )
Hee hee…

Although I do have a habit of picking up beetle elytra of all sizes when I find them in good condition. I usually just use them as evidence that certain species are found in those areas if I haven’t found any other evidence of them there. But after I have listed them in my logbooks, I will usually just put them all in one container, then try to figure out what to do with them. I don’t think I can pin them (please let me know if I can!) and many of them are too large to store in my gelatine capsules. So I have a lot of ‘beetle bits’ in a film canister unlabeled. Even though I can ID all of the ones in there, I will not necessarily recall the date of collection for most of them.

One of my friends suggested stringing tem, at I looked at him like he was bonkers.

1 Like

The computer I am using currently blocks the site, I will try again on a different computer when I get one later in the year. I have been using a school one that blocks a lot of research sites for some reason.

There should be no problem pinning an elytron if you use a fine entomological pin rather than a dress-makers. Or if you think they are too fragile, glue them to a card and pin that. If they are the basis of interesting records, it is worth keeping them and labelling them the same as you would a whole beetle.

@jhbratton Thanks! I have never used any type of pin on insects other than insect pins from BioQuip, and I have an order of pins coming soon from them (I am out), I will try pinning them and labeling the ones that I remember. If that doesn’t work, I’ll use my extra glue boards.

IF you were served (cooked in any fashion) mealworms, would you eat them?
  • Yes.
  • No.
  • Connor, if you ask me that again, you will meet you demise.

0 voters

Hmm, I think so far I am the only one to have said yes. : )
Probably because I’m having a lot of them for a snack right now, they are actually quite good when deep-fried, and then eaten with HP fruity sauce or ketchup!

1 Like

This one applies to me, comment if it also applies to you…

You can’t always remember how to spell the first of your two middle names, yet you can remember how to spell 2,000~ beetle names.

(I seem to forget if my first middle name is spelled ‘Eric’ or ‘Erik,’ and apparently I have been misspelling it off and on since kindergarten!)
(EDIT: It is Erik.)

Or cindergarten?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.