Holiday Fireworks

Usually a firework is displayed at night, so this must refer to those rare nocturnal bee species?

An older paper: Reaction of Honey Bees in the Hive to Simple Sounds seems to suggest that bees pause in the hive when exposed to very loud sounds, but doesn’t seem to support the first claim.

Very loud being much louder than a screaming toddler and effect seems most pronounced in 100 - 1000 Hz range, maybe that’s their normal buzzing range?

Loudness reference chart to help get a sense of dB units.

1 Like

I used to love the organized fireworks on the local golf course growing up, but I can’t enjoy a party where some guests are traumatized. It was a war zone all around us—terrifying, toxic, and it lasted for six or seven continuous hours. We live in a downtown neighborhood with small lots and it was like they were setting off bombs twenty yards away from us. The birds took off and were absent for most of the next day. Most did come back. I don’t understand how this is legal. We know better now.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.