How cautious do you have to be when exploring a swampy area in the summertime (Minnesota, USA)

Thanks so much! Summer is approaching!

I think it is very safe to explore a swamp in Minnesota, bearing in mind to keep track of directions since swamps can be rather easy to get lost in. I wish you great success in finding interesting swamp life this summer.

1 Like

Iā€™ve done a bit of work in MN wetlands, and I am most wary of water depth. Avoid walking on cattail mats, because they float on water and it can be tough to tell how deep the water/mud is below them. Also be prepared to sink or get stuck in mucky wetland bottoms. Leeches can be avoided with waders, and mosquitoes can be avoided by going out on windy days. Poison sumac grows in wetlands, but it is not too common here. Some wetland grasses, like prairie cordgrass, have edges sharp enough to cut your skin. My best advice to avoid the effects of bugs and plants is to wear pants and long sleeves.
Alsoā€¦ chiggers. Iā€™ve only encountered them a few times in high quality wet prairies but I donā€™t know how to repel them. They WILL get your ankles through your boots, pants, and socks.

2 Likes

I live north of Minnesota in Manitoba, and have spent a lot of time in wetlands. Yes, there are biting flies (in a marshy area blackflies are less likely - they prefer running water), but they are mainly an annoyance. There are few diseases they will transmit, and those are generally sporadic, such as West Nile virus and equine encephalitis. Lyme disease is present, but that is vectored by ticks. So, basically donā€™t drown or get stuck in the mud! I donā€™t go right into the middle of a wetland, but thatā€™s because I donā€™t have waders.

1 Like

Oh, welcome to the Forum! Lots of interesting things here.
One thing to keep in mind that many of the aquatic bugs do bite if handled. They wonā€™t kill you, but their bites hurt like hell!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.