How do I use computer vision to get instant ID?

Hi, I’m new to iNaturalist and have not figured out how to get the instant suggestion from computer vision. I’ve uploaded many observations, but only have a few identifications from users. I’d really like to get the instant ID from computer vision, but can’t find the option anywhere in my observations. I’d rather use Seek, but I don’t have a cell phone. Can anyone help me figure out how to use the iNaturalist website to get instant ID suggestions?
Thanks.

Just click the Suggest an Identification tab under the observation identifications and then click into the species name box and it will fire off.

5 Likes

And depending on how fast your internet it, it might take a few seconds to get a suggestion to load. So I have to wait a few seconds when I click on the ID box at home.

2 Likes

You uploaded your observations just recently, so people had no chance to see them yet! Please delete all the duplicate observations, all photos of one spceimen done at one day should be in one observation, please ask questions if you have any.

Thanks for everyone’s replies. I must be missing something because I do not see any “Suggest an Identification” tab under my identifications. I have checked in my dashboard and also under “Observations” and I don’t see an option for an ID field. I see the suggested species by users, but that’s it.
Can anyone help with this?
Thanks

1 Like

When you’re uploading observations, click where it says “Species name”:

Video tutorial on the web uploader: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/video+tutorials#add_web

If you already added the observation, go to the observation page (example: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/86717395), then click Suggest an Identification, then click “Species name”. Then click “Done” to save the ID.

1 Like

I now see that when I initially upload a photo I can get a suggested ID. I still don’t know how to access this once my observations are uploaded. Is there a way?

Thanks

1 Like

The exact same way

It is not intuitive, but once you know how, autopilot does it.

I don’t want to derail the conversation, but: what is your reasoning for saying this? Of course people uploading hundreds of observations of the same thing in a single day can be annoying, but as far as I can tell, it’s entirely supported by iNat’s official policy, and up to identifiers whether they want to ignore the excess observations.

From What is an observation?:

An observation records an encounter with an individual organism at a particular time and location. This includes encounters with signs of organisms like tracks, nests, or things that just died. You should make separate observations for each separate critter you encounter.

@barnabywalters what do you mean? It’s pretty much what I said, it’s better to post once a day for each specimen, people also prefer separating some interesting observations if specimen underwent major changes, it’s up to the user really, but we take a “particular time” as a day. This user has (or had, didn’t check now) clear duplicate photographs made seconds apart, it is not supported by iNat policies.

2 Likes

Ah, if it’s multiple observations of the same individual organism, then that’s a different matter, and I agree entirely.

2 Likes

Please bear in mind that they are merely suggestions (especially for plants). It does a good job for many plants (the ones that don’t need ID keys), but works rather poorly for other plants.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.