How has your nature knowledge advanced since using iNat?

:heart_eyes: Steven :bangbang:

Have you seen the iNaturalist video about mothing that was released today?

You might enjoy it and find it relatable. It might even give you some ideas for new mothing adventures! :butterfly: :earth_africa: :heart:

4 Likes

I’ve gotten really good at ID’ing local fauna, flora is still a challenge

I’ve gotten even better at ID’ing insects to family if not genus

2 Likes

Excellent point, and I agree. That’s why I used “everything” in quotes- because we are not really finding every relevant thing, or only relevant things, or only accurate things, just everything that the algorithms are directing us toward, in the manner you suggest. So being skilled at searching is often not enough. Alas.

1 Like

Opened entirely new areas. Also it kept me interested in connecting with nature. I’m an introvert with no interest in going out, but at least now, when I go out and connect with nature, I have something else to do, like gamifying my experience when I go out. :D

4 Likes

Rambling a bit more to answer the question further, since iNat has helped me develop my nature knowledge in a lot of ways, really. I mentioned iNaturalist’s Life List before, but want to mention again that it’s really a great tool for learning about species and their taxonomical relationships, I also sometimes will look at other folks lists, esp if they live nearby to see what else people are finding and add things as new target species to go out looking for, but also just to marvel at the things other people find.

Others had mentioned projects with ids and references, I’ve used those too, for me I’ve looked at them for moths a lot, the location based projects that collect some group of species are super handy for learning about what’s out there.

I’ve learned to keep an eye out and research to find promising habitat and learn about habitats I’m visiting, looking up what local observations look like, and if I’m looking for something, finding areas to explore where there’s observations. I don’t always do this, but when I remember it’s great. (eBird is good here too, tbh).

At one point I was switching jobs so I took a month off to visit Costa Rica, third trip to CR. I went there planning to get as many iNat observations as I could, esp. insects and birds, but also I started branching into plants then. I read The New Neotropical Companion in prep, for the big iNaturalist trip, which I highly recommend, it’s a great overview of the habitats, flora, wildlife, etc. with a lot of current science and lots of discussion of biomes, ecology, etc. I learned a ton of things that I then saw once I hit the ground and it helped me find species, for example the book mentioned that Pieridae butterflies go after horse and cow urine, and when I was on the ground I spotted some stables I found a bunch of new Pierid species for me. It’s perfect for iNat users visiting the Neotropics, really.

And a last thing, I’ve gotten more interested in biogeography as a result of iNat use, and also have learned a lot pf practical things about biogeography by using iNat. Now I want to visit the Wallace Line so I can get observations on both sides.

8 Likes

I don’t know much, but definitely a lot more than a year ago.
And all these observations helped me train my eye - that turned out helpful for drawings:

If someone recognizes this (PlantNet does, iNat doesn’t), it would make me very happy.

8 Likes

Reviewing your observations of Subtribe Centaureinae…
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?verifiable=any&taxon_id=632887&user_id=chirp147

I would say this one!
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/185168080

Congratulations for this awesome drawing!

4 Likes

Oh, I have learned HUGE amounts. I got started on macrophotography by chance, and until I discovered iNat back in 2014, I was mostly reverse-searching images and really struggling to know what I was finding. But it’s not just the learning about what I photograph. I have had to chance to interact with incredibly generous experts who take the time to teach us less knowledgeable users. So thank you to everyone who’s a part of this community for enriching my life.

6 Likes

I finally confirmed that the funny soft tubular structures on my walls and stone wall here in Delaware County, PA were indeed the webs of very rare and local Snetzingers Purse Web Spiders. So proud. Then my delight was crushed when it was discovered they were actually just an import from Asia with a far less delightful name. I’m choosing to continue to call my yard mates Snetzingers.
Thanks iNaturalist and the helpful naturalists out there.

5 Likes

Our community of observers has opened up an entirely new way to look at our local marine ecosystems. This allows our mapping efforts to be tied to the list of species that live within our local habitats. This allows new marine citizen science volunteers to learn about the amazing varieties of marine wildlife that they will encounter as begin begin to explore our inshore waters. My hope is that greater number of observations will play an important role in the effective management of our local marine ecosystems.

7 Likes

Thanks!
And yes, that’s the one!

2 Likes

I’ve realized just how many plants in Brooklyn Bridge Park - especially piers 3 and 6 - are not only edible, but part of a long and storied indigenous cuisine (NOTE: do not eat plants unless you are certain they are what you believe - and that they are safe!). I am now desperately seeking some place to try authentic chokecherry pemmican. I’ve also discovered my two new favorite herbs, hoary mountain mint and anise hyssop!

6 Likes

Wow, I’ve never met a Golden Shellback before! I’m just a regular shellback.

1 Like

How has my nature knowledge advanced since using iNat?

Using iNaturalist led me here, to the iNat Forum, where I just read this fascinating comment:

I’ve loved nature for my whole life, but I’ve never heard of slime flux! :yum: :joy:

I’m grateful to all of you for sharing your knowledge here on the forum, and on iNaturalist! :pray: :heart:

1 Like

I’ve always been very into nature, but before 2020 I was pretty much solely into birds. Over lockdown in 2020 I started learning plants, because all of the birds were too far away. Now, largely thanks to iNaturalist, I am confident with the majority of New Zealand plants and work as a consultant botanist.

INaturalist not only opened up a whole new group of organisms to me, but a whole career and way of seeing the world.

10 Likes

For me, iNat has helped me ID the plants and insects around me. I was mainly just into birds, but since iNat I love IDing almost anything.

6 Likes

Birds are the gateway drug :laughing: Welcome to the world of everything else.

8 Likes

LOL! Thanks!

1 Like

It was certainly a once in a lifetime experience! Where did you cross?

Since using iNat, I’ve learned the names of loads of species that have been around me my whole life but I’d never stopped to think about. It’s given me a new appreciation for all life, including those that I’m a bit scared of like spiders. I want to further my knowledge by travelling to new places where I can make iNat observations that I don’t get the chance to here in the UK.

4 Likes