How to edit photos?

I’m a little confused, I must be missing something obvious I guess:-

It says here that the ability to alter contrast and brightness within iNaturalist was deployed?
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/edit-images-to-help-with-ids-e-g-brighten-lower-contrast/2376/6

How do we do this?

1 Like

I think this is only in the identify interface, so that if you come across a dark image while identifying you can adjust it.

6 Likes

ah!
haha, I didnt even realise there was an identify interface!
wow, that makes it a lot easier for identification :D super nice :D

it would be nice to have this integrated into the upload system for own observations also… I can see similar requests though, so maybe this is already under consideration

4 Likes

it’s already available in the Android app, though I don’t think it’s in the iOS app

4 Likes

ahh ok, thats maybe part of my confusion, reading the other threads.

I have used the iOS … but mainly just a desktop user.
It would be great if this was rolled out for desktop users as well I think as it could speed up workflow.

2 Likes

To be clear, this functionality only affects how the photo is displayed in your browser on the Identify modal, it does not edit the original file. I agree it’d be cool to have some photo editing tools on the site, but those are more complicated to implement.

5 Likes

ahh I see, ok, makes sense.
many thanks! :)

is this on the mega-list already then of possible long term feature additions?

2 Likes

Maybe? I wouldn’t make it a priority as there are plenty of fine free or inexpensive photo editing apps for one’s computer. To me, allowing one to edit photos taken within the mobile apps fills a greater need.

4 Likes

Yes, true, I really feel I need this when I’ve used my mobile.
And yes, can appreciate this is non-urgent for desktop.
Bigger fish to fry I’m sure.

Ok, many thanks

2 Likes

You can edit on mobile, though. There’s free editors that come preinstalled on both iOS and Android, as well as the in-app editor on the iNaturalist mobile app.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.