How to make feeders for birds?

Can you all suggest me how can I make a bird feeders as not many birds are coming around my terrace garden,also please give me tips of how I can attract birds to my garden.

Two things I guess. Different birds have different feeding strategies, some feed on the ground, some pick from bushes and trees, other catch on the wing, so whatever feeding strategy you want to employ has to take the different feeding strategies into account. That means you’ll need to know what’s in your area and what feeding strategies those birds employ.

Even more important than food is the habitat for birds. If you want wildlife to come to your yard you need to make it wildlife friendly, places for birds (in this case) to perch, maybe safe places to sleep at night, bird baths (water or dust depending on the area and birds types), etc.

You also need to pay attention it potential brd predators (feral cats, other birds, etc), as well as competitors for food (squirrels, rats, 'possums, etc).

Before giving any specific advice it’s useful to have some of those things sorted out and, most importantly, to know what kind of birds are in your area and of those which types you want to attract.

3 Likes

The best feeders for birds are the plants and animals that they will naturally feed on in the wild:

• ornithophilous flowers for nectar-feeding birds such as hummingbirds, sunbirds, honeyeaters, lorikeets, bananaquits, etc

• allowing grasses to go to seed - this will feed birds such as waxbills, canaries, sparrows, budgerigars, and several species of gamebird

• allowing flowers to set seed - this may mean leaving the flowers on the plant after they have wilted. This will result in the appearance of berries and/or seed, which means birdfood.

• native plants - berries, etc, will help feed the local birds.

• creating microhabitats for invertebrates - number one is allowing insects and other invertebrates to exist unmolested in your garden: no insecticides, etc. Number two is creating the kinds of microhabitats that allow invertebrates to survive in the garden - logs, stones, certain soil conditions, bark flakes on tree trunks, etc, all serve as home for invertebrates, and in turn, feed birds such as robins, thrushes, woodpeckers, etc. Many birds that feed on seeds/fruit require insects to feed their chicks.

That said, an idea that can be popular for many birds is to take a mature old pinecone and spread peanut butter/suet inbetween the scales, and hanging that up. Then of course the bog-standard commercial bird feeders that can be filled with birdseed or sugar water (which does not have to be dyed red or any colour)

5 Likes

But, after recent research. If on the urban edge, no nectar feeders for sunbirds - as they spend less time pollinating wildflowers, which set less seed …

Flowers that love birds = ornithophilous :~))

2 Likes

well I have a earthern vessel called pyala(in native langauge) and I only keep millet but still many birds come like
house sparrow
common myna
black drongo
green pigeon
rock pigeon
laughing dove
crow
tailor bird
jungle babble
brown headed barbet
and rufous treepie even call in the early morning to wake up my elders to feed them they wake up sleepy and feed them when they go away rufous treepie come and eat all the millets, we have to fill that vessel again in afternoon

2 Likes

and If you grow flowering plants like tecoma sunbirds can also come

2 Likes

i wouldnt recommend it, just because creating a constant food source will create a large gathering point. This can increase spread of diseases, and with epidemics on the rise because of the climate crisis i think its best to just plant berries and other bird friendly flowers

2 Likes

Maybe try checking instructables.com? If you type “bird feeder” you will find lots of bird-feeder projects you can do on your own.

It would depend on what the birds in your area like to eat, though. If they like nectar, you can try purchasing (or making) a hummingbird feeder.

1 Like

Thank you @alexmrb and welcome to the forum

Thank you my friend,I will try growing it :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you @earthknight @dinofelis @dianastuder and @aputamkiejit for the help :smiley:
If you guys know more about it please do share

With the exception of the hummingbird feeders, all the bird feeder setups I’ve tried attract squirrels and rodents. I suspect, as suggested, that planting a bird-friendly garden is the better choice.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.