How to turn multiple observations into a single observation

Kingdom is a taxon level, though. A very high level, but still something.

1 Like

Fungi is the slowest group here. I think this must vary a lot by region. In my area the local botanists are generalists, but I remember when I tried helping CNC South Africa there were strong opinions about only putting plants to family or lower.

1 Like

Cape Town has an enthusiastic group of mushroom people. Fundis and foragers. I canā€™t fungi ā€¦

PS @arboretum_amy hopefully we have toned down those ā€˜strongā€™ opinions with some help from iNat (be kind)

and a PPS for @star3 YMMD but for me - I would rather battle with ā€˜plantsā€™ that I can take further.
Or pull in extra help when the photo looks promising. But. I have. No. Idea what plant it could be, sob.

Well, given my extremely limited knowledge and confidence, my IDs tend to focus on clearing Unknowns, so I view even Kingdom-level coarse IDs as a ā€œwinā€. :grin:

2 Likes

I use the URLs @arboretum_amy builds. It is her fault I now spend hours a day chewing thru unknowns. Such a challenge - and so rewarding when we find treasure in there.

1 Like

Thank you! Sorry so late - and this tells me how long Iā€™ve been off the forum here. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Maybe this topic is easier to find if the title should contain the word ā€˜splitā€™ ?

This is the ā€œcombineā€ tutorial; the opposite situation, the ā€œsplitā€ tutorial, is here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/how-to-fix-your-observation-with-photos-of-multiple-species/15096

Since the word split means something in taxanomic curation, it actually is not that helpful of a term to put in the forum search box. I see your point though. Unfortunately the author of a post (me) cannot edit it after too much time has passed. Perhaps a forun mod could change it to ā€œHow to fix your observation with photos of multiple species: splitting an observationā€

done.

2 Likes

I donā€™t use the in-App audio recording option, just as I also do not use the in-app camera. These options make for easy recording but IMO they create more problems that solutions. Essentially, you canā€™t edit pix and audio inside the app. Therefore, I do my photos and sound recordings outside the app so I can delete the unsuitable ones, edit the ones I should use, then import to iNaturalist.

For sounds, I make recodings using the Voice Memo app in the iPhone, then delete the one with a helicopter flying by, retake it when other background noises subside, or edit out the bits that are not relevent to the observation. If youā€™re off in the woods someplace, you need to note the date & place. I take a photo in that location with my iphone, which gives me the metadata I need, and load that as the default photo with the sound recording, then delete the photo from it. That places the recording in the right place and time for you. Keep using the photo for each recordingā€¦