How to use iNaturalist's Search URLs - wiki part 1 of 2

Can you put parentheses around “part 1 of 2”? I think it was like that originally, and it would look less cluttered.

You mentioned wanting to inform everyone in North America caterpillar obs. of a project. Since there are over 5 million Lepidoptera obs. in N. America, I assume this would result in users getting many repeat notifications (since each person is IDed many, they get a notification from each obs. comment). I haven’t seen your comments but noticed it was happening a lot for a wasps of the world project, where users were being asked to add every global wasp to the project and specify host plant. That resulted in numerous repeat notifications. So I’d generally suggest advertising projects less often on iNat, doing so in select ways, or adding observers’ obs. to the project (which also is a form of visibility), or creating a forum post about it. Also including for the wasp project, it can become too much like a copy paste repeated message to send too many identical comments. In that way, it also wouldn’t be necessary for anyone to block notifications/users.

Thank you, @brian_d, for your suggestion. I am being more selective about when I post a comment about the Caterpillar project. Luckily, the project is only for Eastern North America to the 100th meridian. Also, it is a collection project which only requires the life stage “larva” annotation to be automatically added.

As a winter project, I am going through Lepidoptera observations and adding the life stages whenever they are missing [still working on East Texas and Mexico with 687K+ observations]. I’m learning a great deal about Butterflies and Moths–recognizing eggs, pupa, even, for some, sexes. I also figure it may help other collection projects that may be out there.

I am, actually, drafting a journal post about the value and all around benefits of making an effort to complete annotations with each observation or identification. Imagine the learning opportunity! The research value! More complete collection projects which can become amazing resources!

Thank you again!

1 Like

re: searching comments…is there a way to filter for observations without comments?

SCENARIO: I noticed the Frequently Used Responses page section on “missing location” has a link to all observations that have a photo but lack a location:

It occurred to me that it might speed the process if I could filter out observations where someone had already commented to let them know this info was missing.

Is there a way to search a checklist for taxa with unknown establishment means and/or occurrence status? I fix these for our state checklist when I run across them but it would be nice to have a list without downloading the whole CSV.

Is there a search URL that will return a query when multiple similar fields are used in the same search. Specifically, there are several fields that have been created to be used with observations of pollinators with plants such as for Fireweed Chamaenerion angustifolium - 564969
&field:feeding on=
&field:Plant association=
&field:nectar / pollen delivering plant=
& field:name of associated plant=
& field:nectar plant=
I am wondering if these can be strung together in one search.

1 Like

it looks like you could string together multiple field parameters in a URL, but they would operate as if joined by AND operators, whereas i suspect you might want them as if joined by OR operators.

here’s an example of a URL with multiple field parameters: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?field:feeding%20on=57249&field:plant%20association=57249

2 Likes

Your suspicion is correct. I am wanting them as if joined OR operators (thanks for giving me the correct lingo to use). The example you gave is good. I just happen to use both of those fields sometimes as a new project I am participating in requires the feeding on field. But, for instance I would like to know all of the pollinators that have been noted to be with a certain plant but know that different fields have been used. I know I can achieve this by downloading a query but it is time consuming.