How would you name a hybrid

A cross between an orange wing amazon parrot and a quaker parrot i have both and they have paired and have eggs candled them today and its looking as they may be fertile

3 Likes

Hi, i am botanist without sufficient experience in concern of parrots or other kinds of birds in general. However, the first step would be to wait for living, apparent mixed offspring, to get sure such existed. The following steps towards publication of such hybrids and naming by a valid binominal combination will perhaps be explained by experienced ornithologists.
For sure you might take the chance to suggest a useful hybrid name in case there will be living mixed parrot offspring.
So then, Best Luck!

2 Likes

Welcome to the fourm!

1 Like

If you mean just for iNat: an example of a bird hybrid
https://inaturalist.nz/taxa/411226-Himantopus-leucocephalus---novaezelandiae
It may be different in that case since they aren’t in the same genus, just family. No examples of different genus, same family birds come to mind to link as an example of how they’re labelled.

If you intend publication and actual recognition of the hybrid, as above you’d need to link up with an ornithologist prepared to write up and publish the hybrid description and case.

1 Like

Hi, I’m an ornithologist that studies bird hybrids. Hybrids are quite common among birds, especially among very closely related species. Amazona and quaker parrots are extremely distantly related as far as hybridizing birds go, so the eggs might not successfully develop and hatch. If they do hatch, hybrids don’t generally get their own official names, so you would just call them “Orange-winged Amazon x Monk Parakeet hybrid” or “Amazona amazonica x Myiopsitta monachus hybrid”.

2 Likes

If the bird does hatch as a healthy parrot, it would be of interest to the ornithological community since these birds are really really more distantly related than should be possible to produce viable hybrids. It could probably be published as a short communication in a specialized ornithological journal.

Also, a valid species is one that can reproduce; so if they hybrids are sterile, that definitely would exclude them from having a name of their own.

Many hybrids, at least in case of diversest kinds of plants, and i got good reason to assume this will be the same with hybrid animals in general, got names of their own. Saying these got as well scientific, distinct names for hybrids, as well as common names in case such hybrids are frequent and widely known. Thus the naming is independant from the fact of fertility versus sterility, anything deserves a naming so we are knowing about.

@Parrotmanderrick Derrick, as i argued the parrot couple could be too distantly related for to interbreed successfully i recommended

as repeated in sense by following responses. I could not be convinced that candling the eggs proved true their fertility, so you needed to be patient.

As told by @elsemikkelsen living hybrid offspring would be the most surprising, saying a real sensation to ornithologists, and me as well!

I just wanted to clarify that hybrid animals do not get their own scientific names. In ornithology for example it is very common to observe hybrid zones between closely related species in areas where their ranges come into contact. In these hybrid zones you can sometimes observe a very large portion of individuals that are hybrids or back-crosses, but these individuals do not get described as a different species - they are simply hybrids with ancestry from two species. Of course, there can still be colloquial names that are given to describe a particular hybrid (for example: “mule”, “liger”, “Brewer’s Duck”), but these are not actually distinct species and they are not accompanied by official scientific names.

There is a process called hybrid speciation in which a hybrid lineage can form a new species if it forms a stable lineage that no longer reproduces with the parental species, but this is extremely rare in animals (more common in plants). An example is the Italian Sparrow which is descended from hybrids between the House Sparrow and the Spanish Sparrow.

An orange winged quaker parrot

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.