I found a source for maps of wildfire perimeters, does anyone know how I could convert any of this into KML files?

on the Intterra map, if you expand the Fire Details layer, you’ll see a button for Details:

if you click on the Details button, you’ll get this information:

the key thing that you care about here is the layer source:
https://services3.arcgis.com/T4QMspbfLg3qTGWY/ArcGIS/rest/services/Interagency_Fire_Perimeter_History_Current_Decade_Read_Only/FeatureServer

if you use a tool like QGIS, you could open up the entire feature layer via Layer > Add Layer > Add ArcGIS Feature Service Layer… and using the above source as the URL for a new connection. from there, you have 2 options:

• you could get the whole set into QGIS (which looks like everything for at least the US), and then just select the features you’re interested in within QGIS.
  • you could check the option to “only request features overlapping the current view extent” to get only the particular set of features that show up in your view of the map at the time you create the layer.

… from there, this may help you export the selected features: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/creating-a-place-for-your-us-city-using-census-bureau-geography-data/21927#find-and-select-your-city.

it’s possible to bypass something like QGIS altogether by querying directly from the ArcGIS Feature Service. the service doesn’t have the option to export directly to KML, but you can get a GeoJSON, which Google Earth i think should handle (or is easy to convert to KML using various tools).

NOTE: i thought everything i wrote below would work, but i don’t think the filtering on that page for the download works as expected:

using the OpenData site referenced by @harrier, it's also possible to filter. just zoom in on the map to the location you're interested in. the use the filter option, with "Filter as map moves" option turned on (and/or you could filter by specific fields, if you wanted to):

from there, click the Download link, and make sure you have the "Toggle Filters" option selected. then click the download button for the format you want.

3 Likes