Found a quirk in the way KML files are read by iNat that causes uploads to fail

Platform Website

I was trying to replace a boundary for a place with a new kml. I downloaded the boundary as an ESRI shape and used the tool in ArcMap to convert it to a kml. I tested the kml in Google Earth and it looked fine.

When I tried to replace the boundary for an existing place, I got the error that my kml didn’t contain any polygons. I tried exporting from Google Earth in case the ArcMap format was to blame, but that didn’t solve the problem.

I noticed that the file in Google Earth looks like this:
The actual polygons are not at the top level of the file, they’re within a folder in the file. When I right-clicked at the polygon level and exported again, I was able to use the file to replace the place boundary.

So if your polygons are not at the top level of the file, it won’t upload as a place boundary. This might be the reason that some users have had trouble getting their files to upload.

Hi @jdjohnson - I moved this from #bug-reports to #general - it’s probably working as expected, but a good heads up for other people who might search for a solution to this issue for sure. GIS programs can likely interpret KML files and folder systems more robustly than the iNat place importer has been built to.

Ok, sounds good.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.