ID Workshop: Unknowns for Beginners (signup and questions)

Update:
A workshop will be held on Zoom on January 8th, Friday night, 7pm EST. You must pre-register for the event so I can send you an invitation. If you did not already sign up, send me a direct message on iNat.

Another will be held the next day, January 9th, probably also 7pm EST. It will be on the unofficial iNat Discord server and everyone is invited :)

What do I need beforehand?
Nothing except an iNat account and knowing how to use a mouse and keyboard

What is covered? (At minimum)
Adding IDs to observations that have none, using the web interface
Basic DQA and troubleshooting
Efficiency/workflow advice
Common mistakes and knowledge gaps

What is NOT covered? (Not in this workshop at least)
Use of the apps
Advice on posting observations
Advanced URL filters
Any ID advice for stuff more narrow than Order
Using a dichotomous key

How does it work?
Each workshop should be between 30 and 60 minutes, and will include a lesson, a few examples, and an opportunity for learners to practice a little under supervision.
My screen will be visible and my audio on. You don’t have to show anything or speak a word (though questions are welcome).

There will also be a Moderately Advanced Unknowns and Life workshop. You can attend both. Or neither.

7 Likes

Thanks for setting this up. Both links lead to the following:

You need permission
This form can only be viewed by users in the owner’s organization.
Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.

whoops! I’ll fix that, give me a few minutes…

OK, I think I fixed it. Please try again.

I accidentally put “Zoom” instead of “Other” under the platform option. :man_facepalming:t3: Is there no way to change it? Or should I submit another form instead?

1 Like

You can submit a new one, just write in comments somewhere the one that is correct and I will delete/merge the data from the first submission.

If I may suggest, include a whole section on “what kind of negative reactions can I expect from observers, how can I prevent those reactions (always a trade-off with speed,) and how do I respond when they do occur.”

2 Likes

The sign-up form results indicate a little confusion as to what the purpose of the workshop is.
I’ll try to privately answer everyone’s questions in any case bc I did not make things clear ahead of time.
Added some stuff to the first post to clarify. Feel free to re-register or to let me know you’re not interested in this particular workshop.

I am now processing responses. The sign-up will be closed temporarily.
Potential dates are Tuesday Jan 2nd, Friday Jan 8th, Saturday Jan 9th; times tbd.

all sign-ups are now closed!

A workshop will be held on Zoom on January 8th, Friday night, 7pm EST. You must pre-register for the event so I can send you an invitation. If you did not already sign up, send me a direct message on iNat.

Another will be held the next day, January 9th, probably also 7pm EST. It will be on the unofficial iNat Discord server and everyone is invited :)

3 Likes

Unfortunately, my home environment has drastically gotten worse. Sadly, I will not be able to make any workshops. I hope I am still able to help identity observations…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.