Identification Etiquette on iNaturalist - Wiki

Good point, I had forgotten about the differing treatment of subspecific disagreements by iNaturalist. So made yet another tweak to that paragraph to add that informational note.

That said, given existing iNaturalist community guidelines, I don’t think we will ever be able to have a black-and-white rule about adding higher level IDs. While always acceptable when done in good faith, it will always be an area where a little extra caution and deliberation is advisable, exactly because of the different ways observers may receive / interpret such IDs. I think my personal perspective on the subspecies topic was pretty much in line with community expectations here, but I’m always open to different perspectives.

For what it’s worth, when I come across a subspecies ID, and I am only confident at the species level, I usually (not always) just mark it as reviewed and move along, rather than rain on someone else’s subspecies. That is a risk that subspecies identifiers take (including myself, alot!) – that there will be few if any others on iNaturalist able to confirm an ID at that level.

8 Likes