Identification tips for IDs

Which country is that and what is jizz a vernacular term for?

Some things are best left answered by Google.

2 Likes

Yeah, given its alternative meaning as a vulgar slang term (at least in the US), I prefer gestalt.

1 Like

One word can mean many things, so it shouldnā€™t be abandoned because of that, ā€œgeneral impressionā€ is not original meaning of it though, for the reason of the second meaning first one is discussed all the time by birders.

But on the other hand, if you are describing a suspect to the police ā€“ someone you donā€™t know ā€“ then you do indeed pull up a list of features. The recognizing comes in later, when you have to pick the right suspect out of a lineup of people with those features.

iNat currently has a ā€˜profileā€™ for each taxon on the site, an identifier could link it to the owner of the observation as an introductory to the species. Linking an external source such as the Cornell Lab (for birds) can also be useful. That specific website also has a feature to compare similar looking species.

When bringing an id down a notch from genus to species, there are so many things to consider that I usually do not put comments, though I am happy to write a small book when asked. However, when disagreeing with an id at the same level I usually explain at least one key difference, but maybe not all. (Especially since I am not an expert, I want people who know better than me to know what I was thinking so they can correct me.)

3 Likes

LOL :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.