#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

It’s great iNat is growing so much, but as an active identifier, I feel a little overwhelmed.

5 Likes

That’s because number of iders is hardly changing compared to observers, I check everything uploaded befor Jan 1 vs current stats: it was 239 137 iders/1 981 197 observers, now it’s 254 583 iders/2 215 145 observers, so for 5 months we got +15 446 iders(+6,5%)/233 948 observers (+11,8%). And how much each of them id/observe?

2 Likes

If I may make a little suggestion for people here, species complex identifications can be nice little projects to work on. Don’t feel like meticulously inspecting every last marking on a bug to figure out a species? Well you don’t have to if the species is impossible to identify beyond the complex/section/genus level! With enough free time, boredom, and coffee, you can get through a hundred posts in a day.

3 Likes

I am still chewing on the Western Cape residue from CNC (about 2K to go)

And have added proteas to my list of URLs
https://www.inaturalist.org/posts/63779-please-help-manage-our-proteas

2 Likes

I wish I could do more with arthropods, but I find I can’t even keep up with the flood of plants in my region (New England). I do ID an occasional Eastern Newt or Blue Dasher or Rosy Maple Moth, but those plants keep me busy!

2 Likes

I became an apparent continental expert on millipedes just by helping move Narceus species to a complex. ;)

4 Likes

I have to work outside all day … If I’m not too tired, I’ll check back for some Netflix and iNat at home. Have fun everyone!

4 Likes

Friday in New Zealand… it’s winter and the weather is terrible! I might do some identifying seeing as outside is unappealing :)
I’m currently working my way through unknowns from January… There are about 5800 left, and I have reviewed half of those and can add nothing more to them personally. When I’m done with January I’ll start on… Feb! Feel free to join me :laughing:

8 Likes

Did about 75 old observations of plants (large proportion in Asteraceae) in my local area. I’m done for today I think.

5 Likes

Did some of my usuals today (certain spider families) and went also through one spider genus I did not pay attention to in quite a while and was able to push some to species ID or RG

6 Likes

Ided 31 pages of insects, just to wake up to more than there were yesterday.

9 Likes

Yaeh, you have to pick out certain specific taxa within your group of specialty… that is more rewarding :-)

1 Like

But that is my specialty.)

6 Likes

National Forests in New Mexico have reopened after 1-6 inches of rain across the state in the last 10 days, so I’ll see y’all on the trails this weekend!

3 Likes

I have, finally, finished the Western Cape Unknowns from CNC. No more blurry green I’m pretty sure that’s a plant, no wait, there’s a … bug bottom left!

9 Likes

Many very old observation started to show up in a search for “updated”, do you know if any of iders deleted their profile? Or it’s someone deleting ids?

not sure what you’re seeing. please share a link or screenshot or example observation.

Just iding observations filtered by “updated” and there’re observations with last id 4 years ago, it happens sometimes, but for last days they appear very often, it means something was changed on observation, screenshot won’t help here.

1 Like

How do you filter for updated?

1 Like