#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Looks more encouraging than my pile of green - planty - broad leaves - sob.
You have flowers to play with!

2 Likes

Anyone willing to tackle a fresh delivery of dead fish from the West African project?
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?reviewed=any&iconic_taxa=unknown&order_by=observed_on&place_id=97392&project_id=123926

It’s that time again. Click click grumble grumble the identifiers fight song.

2 Likes

I should get myself some pom-poms if we’re going to sing the identifiers fight song.

6 Likes

Hmm, thinking about what to do today…maybe I should try to get something new IDed… will have a look around

Edit: Ended up with going into some Aculepeira in Europe, but this will probably extent to the US as well… not a lot of species around there :-)

I was going through Hymenoptera in Arizona and New Mexico and I skipped a weird looking bug only to find the ID an hour later, but I can’t refind the observation! https://bugguide.net/node/view/66904

1 Like

I follow or fave those, so I get notified when someone else knows What That Is.

2 Likes

If I run across obvious duplicates in the unknowns (as in same picture being used for two different observations by the same observer), I typically ID the older one and add a comment to the newer one saying something to the effect “same as this:” and add the URL for the one I’ve ID’d before marking it reviewed. I’m hoping this serves to redirect others to add their IDs to just one of the two observations.

I often come across observations where ID’ers just commented “duplicate” without providing a link to the second copy. If the observer only has a handful of observations, I may go try to find the other one and add the link to tie them together. However, if they have hundreds of observations to sort through it’s just faster and easier to simply put my ID on those and not bother spending time on trying to hunt down the second copy.

2 Likes

I consider duplicates to be too rare to worry about, even if I notice them, which I may not. People don’t post them on purpose. I identify duplicates – I don’t see a reason not to. I’ll often comment “duplicate” and move on, figuring that the observer can find the duplicate easily enough if he/she wants to. Perhaps I’ll start adding a link to the other copy, but maybe we’ll see.

4 Likes

Thank you for acknowleding this. I have, on occasion, posted duplicates because I forgot that I had already posted that observation. I had few enough observations at the time that I could easily catch the error; but for someone with many pages of observations, it may not be so easy.

One suggestion: if you have an idea what the organism is, and can’t remember whether you posted the observation already, use the search window in your own observations page.

3 Likes

Yes. I’ve posted duplicates occasionally, too. Dealing with backlog photos can be confusing. I usually keep them labeled (posted vs. not) but sometimes I just don’t know and have to go searching my observations to see if they’re already there – unless I forget.

1 Like

I find a good way to prevent uploading duplicates yourself when working through a backlog of pictures is to open up the calendar page for the day you’re working on to see what you’ve already uploaded for that day. I imported a bunch of stuff from Flickr and that’s even better because it will automatically warn you if the picture you are about to import is already associated with an existing observation. I wished that feature would exist for regular uploads as well - there’s a feature request for that.

9 Likes

it’s Friday again. i’ll probably do some identification of sound-based observations in my area later today. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=110679&quality_grade=needs_id&sounds&verifiable=any

3 Likes

I also did some duplicates while sorting through my backlog. Can happen. If I find a duplicate and still have the other observation opened, I will link as well with the hint “duplicate” … but I will also do it without the link sometimes, especially if it is an older observation and the observer had not been online for a while… just so someone who might want to use the observation could check it out maybe.

As for the Identifriday I will probably do some eresid spiders (other then my all time favourite Stegodyphus) from Europe today… had already started it some time this week… they are just the cutest little spiders

3 Likes

I’ve been neglecting (?) those for a while now, my MBP has a broken speaker and sounds awful if I increase the volume. Most sound observations in my country are from birds, I’m getting better whit them but still challenging with such a diversity

3 Likes

Guess what day it is!

Lunch time in the central US

P.S. Working on 40 pages of Penstemon digitalis

4 Likes

I was working on random plants in my area when I noticed that Peppervine ( Nekemias arborea ) used to be in the genus Ampelopsis. When the taxon change was made there were a lot of research grade observations that were sent to needs ID at family level ( Vitaceae ) because the first person put just the genus (stays how it is) before two people put the species (auto changed). So I’m working on adding a third ID at species level to get them to research grade again by looking through all the Grape family (Vitaceae) observations. (and of course double checking that they are really Peppervine)

EDIT: I forgot about the with and without ID trick. This is going to make it go much faster now.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?page=6&iconic_taxa=Plantae&order=asc&ident_taxon_id=551846&without_taxon_id=551846&place_id=90754 I can also use this to check for confusion between peppervine and trumpetvine

4 Likes

Time to do some light day-drinking, put on some John Prine and go through Texas herps. I’ve made it to 2019 for the reptiles…amphibians I’m a lot worse at and there’s a lot more that are just really hard to ID (baby toads, oh man).

5 Likes

Finally done with Penstemon digitalis. Only 29,500 Cheloneae more to check. I’ll be happy to halve that before spring.

7 Likes

It’s not Friday yet, but torrential flood of student duress users posting misidentified garden plants has begun in my town. If anyone wants to help correct them and also mark things as Captive: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?quality_grade=needs_id%2Cresearch%2Ccasual&iconic_taxa=Plantae&verifiable=true&swlng=-122.5923519836763&swlat=37.93682408262846&nelng=-122.4349829662205&nelat=38.02782091862893&place_id=any

5 Likes