#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Same issue in Bogotá… the species list is way higher then it should be, because there are so many ornamental plants still not casual… sometimes when I feel bored I am working on it, but this feels even more like a fight against windmills then just doing ID work

5 Likes

If there are certain species or even genera that are nearly always captive in a county or equivalent area, it can be good to look up the whole set of observations of that taxon in that area and mark them all in one go. Afterwards iNat’s programming will begin to mark new observations as captive automatically. I have done this for my own county and it helps noticably. Of course it won’t work on groups with some wild members and some captive members, or on observations which have no ID or broad ID.

4 Likes

Unfortunately it’s almost always plants and I don’t know much about them… I just see they are obviously planted

identified some observations that came through my dashboard over the last few days. if there’s time later, or if it’s super rainy, i’ll probably do more. maybe i’ll clean up some of my own old observations…

3 Likes

I checked honeybees and some other common species, if anyone feels like their observations should be checked, especially if in Europe, I’d be glad to help! I personally would ask to check my bivalves, many were ided by local experts, so if you can agree with any species they add, it’d be appreciated.

3 Likes

I try to mark most culivated plants while IDing. However I’m not the most knowledgeable in them. I’m familiar with like 10 spp commonly used in gardens here, but a some are native to the country and not always clear if they’re cultivated.

This occurs with Codiaeum variegatum here, is great that it automatically goes to casual as is a really common plant

3 Likes

not feeling experimental today… just going for my usuals :-)

2 Likes

Have chewed thru 200 plant conflicts in Africa

A lot of the difficult stuff between moss and fern … reviewed, next.
A lot trapped in limbo, because identifiers say it’s not This species it’s A Plant - then it takes extra votes to tip the two thirds. Especially when TWO people agree - it’s A Plant.
And a third tranche trapped in Plantae, because iNat won’t subspecies or variety - and then it doesn’t get seen by the relevant identifiers who can’t filter them out.
I have been tagging!

2 Likes

I’ve been getting frustrated by the number of plant observations that have 4 or 5 confirming IDs of a completely wrong species … my ID goes straight to maverick and the other identifiers rarely seem to respond.

4 Likes

Be a proud Maverick (and as I do … keep … tagging in more people one by one … till we get there)

4 Likes

Definitely tag me in North America

2 Likes

I went through a LOT of 1+ year old plant observations stuck at kingdome through phylum, as a kind of apology to @dianastuder for so often shifting plants from “Uknown” to “Dicots.” Couldn’t help a whole lot with African or tropical species, but did move a fair number to family through species. Fun to see ones I moved to family now being identified, after waiting so long.

4 Likes

I went through those for Louisiana on Friday. It was a small enough number that I could tackle the whole thing in one day. They were mostly caused by one person and I talked to her about disagreeing using a lower level taxon like Flowering Plants and how to withdraw her disagreeing ID when someone else comes with a more specific ID after her disagreement.

5 Likes

I really should reach out more to those who disagree too harshly too, but I feel so rude doing that! It feels like I’m calling them out: “Well, you know it’s not a moss or a fern, don’t you? It’s clearly a flowering plant, you unreasonable ***!” Also, I’m still climbing up Mt. Stupid myself and mostly just end up ID’ing these disagreements as dicots anyway, so I don’t want to be THAT person, if you know what I mean? It’s not like I know something they don’t!

5 Likes

Sounds like you know something they don’t, actually. I get corrected on things, too. If the person with the correcting comment is polite, it feels like learning, or at least fixing a small error, not an attack.

6 Likes

It has been a rewarding day. Thank you!

1 Like

Heh, yeah, well, one of the things I DO know is the somewhat counter-intuitive way that iNat disagreements work, but I’d feel too much like I’m lecturing people who actually know something about plants and/or taxonomy to actually express it

1 Like

Oh so do I! The identifier and I know - it’s A Plant, but that iNat Won’t Dragon is not a bug. It is Working As Intended they say.

1 Like

Absolutely – “I explicitly disagree with this ID and also with any upcoming, to me currently unknown, ID’s” is a very reasonable feature! < /sarcasm>

3 Likes

You certainly knows something they don’t, it’s pretty unfair to think so about others, all you need is ask them to withdraw disagreements, I’m not gonna be angry at people disagreeing Insecta instead of Pterygota or that experts in one group of insects can’t even recognise an order or one-of-a-kind family, because that’s ok for people to not know something you do know, and to connect it with previous topic that is why people are iding dicots instead of family, I have no idea about African plant families, it’s a whole new world, likely most people outside of the region are the same.

2 Likes