#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Re the identification of identifiers, here’s how I self-identify in that regard:
https://youtu.be/9lvmeCHYyZI
;)

1 Like

the past few days I went over the observations in this project
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/unknown-araneae

I started motivated doing two pages until I realized most of them would still stay casual as they were missing a date… so I filtered only those oute that have a date (6 pages) and IDed as best as I could… will not go to the rest of them as the casuals are not very satisfying

2 Likes

I noticed when I did a few pages of the plant projects that a lot of the observations were casual, and not just captive casuals either. I was kind of surprised data-missing casuals even made it in there, pretty sure no one IDs those.

3 Likes

I will do missing data obs. (Might be new to iNat, or battling with internet or loadshedding)
Then leave a whiny comment.

But I won’t do Can’t See WHAT That Is.

3 Likes

Yes, all those project are filled with missing data, and it’s a pity, I ided many of lepidoptera ones to species level, and they have the location, but no date!

1 Like

And a lot of those missing data are actually from observers that are not active anymore, so I don´t feel like I want to even bother with those observations

…But I will do the first page observations with missing date now, as those may probably be the ones with still active users

1 Like

It’s still friday here and today I did several hundreds of thomsoid spiders (especially Diaea) in Europe, which was a lot of fun… there was a lot of room to improve IDs

6 Likes

I missed posting on Friday! Ugh, this week I was working through Belarussian observations, they need your help, there’re not enough iders, and quickly I jumped from 90th ider place to 14th, that should tell you enough about how dense the work done there is, all iders lower than top 5 have 2k or less ids.
It’s in the low growth project, having 5 times area of Moskovskaya oblast, it has 4 times less observations. What I noticed is their observations get little attention even in groups where many iders exist, e.g. dragonfly observations sit for 3-4 years with no id. Spiders have 36 pages and insects 256, meaning many also need a friendly mark of “no further id possible”.
So, if you know you can id something from the region, or anything in Eastern Europe, please spend this day (maybe Saturday and not a Friday, if you will be sober enough) helping those observations.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?place_id=7578&photos=true

4 Likes

I will have a look on the spiders… I was ust searching for something to do to maybe reach a last milestone this year - 40.000 IDs … :-)

2 Likes

I reviewed some. Interesting to see plants native to the U.S. being weeds in Belarus. I’m much more aware of Eurasian plants being weeds in the U.S.

3 Likes

Most of European introduced weeds are from Americas if we don’t take European species that broadened their distribution.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t help much with Belarus. Most of the ones for which I knew family or genus were already at family or genus.

1 Like

That’s ok, if you wish, you can go to the next choice of mine, Ghana has quite a few unknowns to handle: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?order_by=updated_at&place_id=7228&photos=true

1 Like

Did some, but mostly insects and many butterflies.

1 Like

It’s not Friday, but I’m very pleased to say that the number of Unknowns from the 2022 CNC has decreased by more than 25%. Thank you to anyone who has helped!

(But there are still almost 18,000 to go…)

6 Likes

Yesterday I finally cleared my Rest of Africa backlog that accumulated from CNC, then again from GSB.
Now I ‘only’ have to keep up with what is uploaded today!

7 Likes

I am still on holidays until next week, so I keep myself busy with canadian spiders. Realized on my heat map that I need to spend some time there and I am very pleased with one of my favourite spider groups - Pisauridae - that are often up for a disappointment in Europe, as it is often difficult to impossible to tell the species appart. Much more fun in Canada, where most of them are pretty easy to identify :-) … might go south from there afterwards with my Pisaurids

4 Likes

The other day, for reasons even I don’t understand, I went on a kick of checking all “Needs ID” Cleome viscosa observations worldwide.

Turns out there were several Senna observations which the observer orginally correctly IDed as such, but then erroneously changed their mind to Cleome viscosa.

2 Likes

Something I decided to try this week is following behind other IDers to help create mavericks often for when the CV is totally off and the user doesn’t return to withdraw their ID. For example if I wanted to review flowering plants that sambiology has IDed I would use this URL: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?place_id=90754&verifiable=true&page=1&ident_user_id=sambiology&lrank=order&place_id=any&taxon_id=47125 Pick someone who often IDs to species level and mostly IDs in the area you want to cover. Using Order for the rank makes it more likely to be an observation with a disagreement. You can also look for the little shield icon showing 2 or more IDs. I added a place limiter for American Southeast because he does a lot of central Texas too which has plants I don’t know anything about.

4 Likes

We have several species in NZ. They’re fairly easy to distinguish although kneejerk identification to species from the nursery webs themselves without the critter present is common.

Suppose I am lucky that’s all that keeps me awake at night :upside_down_face:

1 Like