#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Love the New Testament reference!

5 Likes

Well, I am only up to some Fulgoroidea families (eurybrachidae, Fulgoridae, issidae, dictyopharidae, sometimes ricaniidae, and many (not all) families outside this limit). So you may just mention me in case of planthoppers, as I can id most families. But I don’t directly id unknowns, and if I do, that also rarely, when I feel that there is nothing to id.

1 Like

5 weeks ago I came back to IDing after a nine months break. I started with a backlog of > 30000 needs ID observations to review in ‘my’ taxon (Coccinellidae). Finished that today. This. Feels. Good. :-)

18 Likes

That’s a lot of work!

1 Like

That’s a LOT of IDing in five weeks!

1 Like

Note that I didn’t say I IDed that many. I know only a small fraction of species in that taxon. I did look at all of them, but many only on the ID overview page for a fraction of a second to decide I have no clue. The number of actual IDs in these weeks was about 8500.

5 Likes

Also, I’d suggest to put up an Unknown ID blitz project but before the City Nature Challenge event.

1 Like

That’s a good idea, but spring has actually sprung here (Wood Frogs and Red-shouldered Hawks calling! Beaked Hazelnut blooming!), so I have opted for cutting way back on my IDing and going outside instead. Plus, I’m helping to organize my local CNC and there’s a lot of work still to be done in the next five weeks.

5 Likes

Try a slice from this project - before CNC would be wonderful!
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/pre-maverick

Choose a location or a taxon or your taxon / location combo.

2 Likes

Hmm. not exactly #IdentiFriday. Maybe #IdentiMonday?

I set a goal for myself to clear all the unknowns from Oklahoma. 1700 left to do. I hope to have them finished by tomorrow.

Then, like a madman, I will go to Texas and clear the 17500 (not a typo) unknowns there!

8 Likes

Madmen (and all other mad/obsessed people) are a necessary part of iNat, I think.

6 Likes

So sorry to hear that.

1 Like

Doing pre-maverick butterflies today for a bit

5 Likes

for #IdentiFriday, I have set a goal to clean up all of the misidentified Russula emetica (Yes, it is THAT genus) by midnight

6 Likes

Still doing Hispaniola – whichever taxa I can, so unfiltered by taxon.

1 Like

Such admirable plans! I, on the other hand, went out and generated more content to identify. I’ll get back to identifying soon, though.

8 Likes

I have cleared someone’s link to broad planty IDs which include Asteraceae, for my Western Cape patch. One URL deleted from my LONG list. Slowly getting past the easier conflict / disagreement (choice of 2 or 3?), and back to the harder Unknowns (could, be, any, thing???)

3 Likes

Apart from my usual Coccinellidae diet I’ve started on unknowns again. Not that much different from putting everything that doesn’t look too strange into Magnoliopsida. :D Bracing myself for many, many more notifications.

4 Likes

I have searched for Spiders of North America but found two different books (or sets of books) by that name. Which do you recommend?

1 Like

The one I have is by Sarah Rose. I don’t know the other one.

1 Like