#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

The “which letter(s) easiest to type repetitively right now” in a long run sometimes comes down to d/m/f/p/b (dicot monocot fern pinales bryophyta), a (angiosperm), t (tracheophyta) or p (plantae) in order of broadness. ;)

1 Like

You ever just… stumble across a few IDs of a particular species that are off by an entire continent and then wonder how that even happened?

At least this find was easy to clean up

EDIT: Wait no then your brain gets briefly short circuited because someone actually did plant some Allium ursinum in a garden and was documenting their natural spread, and you just auto-ided it as a monocot because you didn’t expect to see actual ramsons in the US

Whoops

5 Likes

IDing true unknowns is a great way to learn more about a wide variety of organisms because you then get a notification when someone puts a more specific ID on it! I love getting to find out what something is like that after I looked at it closely and all I could figure out was that it was a monocot or a snake or something vague like that.

8 Likes

I sometimes say that more times than I wish to admit…check those mavericks…

4 Likes

No
Sleep
‘Til CNC weekend

In honor of the beastie boys, it’s time to fight for your right to have accurate data. Good luck everyone!

8 Likes

and PRE-Mavericks to save some identifiers from extra work, please.

We have 73 members which encourages me. We make progress, oh yes we do!
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/pre-maverick

3 Likes

And no sleep during CNC weekend, either.

4 Likes

I try to keep up on them XD

My mavericks usually occur as the result of a first ID of an unknown.

2 Likes

To keep your spirits up during CNC, if anyone wants me to run API ID stats for them (it can answer questions like, “How many IDs have I made today?” or “How many CNC amphibians have I identified?”) or to send encouragement memes/write humorously bad haiku, let me know.

7 Likes

You know, I think yesterday (Friday) was the first Friday in a long time - the first day of any kind, perhaps - when I made no IDs. Bad, bad me. (And I’m still uploading my CNC observations from yesterday, too.)

3 Likes

I went through like four or five pages of liriodendron tulipifera observations yesterday just hitting agree because i needed a break from cnc stuff XD.

Their leaves and growth habit are so distinctive its makes for some relatively easy tree ID

6 Likes

Until some overzealous one comes along and says, “Well, hold on. Someone might have planted Liriodendron chinense here long ago” – and bumps it back to genus because the color of the flowers is not visible.

2 Likes

Well, who cares if it’s genus or species, if it’s cultivated it’s worthless anyway, and just reading this tree name brings back memories of hundreds of unmarked planted trees,

Oh goodness you’re gonna make me twitch

They’re not naturalized at all in the states, are they?

Not that I know of, but it looks like the taxonomists are possibly splitting the American one (key)…

4 Likes

Oh what fun

EDIT: I’m not that surprised though TBH? There’s some pretty severe differences in leaf shape across their range

Speaking of going through lots of pages clicking agree, that’s what I did last night for the false strawberry. Although in the event, I couldn’t click agree for every one, because if there are no flowers or fruits, the leaves look similar enough to those of true strawberries that I couldn’t be confident. I took them in ascending order, so that the oldest ones still waiting for RG would finally get there. I then did all “Needs ID” observations of that taxon observed in Africa (and corrected one which appeared to be actually a buttercup).

I feel like the false strawberry is an old friend; images come to my mind of encounters with it in disparate places on my life’s adventure. I can also relate to it in other ways. It has had quite the taxonomic journey, from its own genus (Duchesnia indica), to a short period of associating with the true strawberries (Fragaria indica), to its present identity as a trifoliate cinquefoil (Potentilla indica). It has been observed on every continent except Antarctica, including a surprisingly large number of observations on the remote island of Reunion.

9 Likes

There’s something weirdly soothing about being able to put a bunch of generally neglected plants at research grade because its one you’re just that familiar with, isn’t there?

7 Likes

I do this for american holly sometimes; a lot of hollies get uploaded because cultivars, which are mostly not american holly, so i get pleasure from kicking them back to genus (or to chinese holly, etc)+ marking captive/cultivated; and confirming the rarer wild american holly :)

2 Likes