#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

I’m sitting here over my morning coffee and I idly wondered how many IDs I needed to do every day to reach 150,000 by the end of the year. It’s only 40 IDs a day! I can do that!

(ETA: And it is exactly this sort of impulsive decision that gets me into trouble. Or into a lot of fun and a feeling of accomplishment. Or all of the above.)

14 Likes

I get it… I am aiming for the 100.000 this year… will need to do like 150 a day, considering that my end of the year will probably be to busy to do much… but once I am in IDing-mode I easily do that… did like 700 this week alone… but let´s see if I will manage. The last one of my yearly goals which is still in reachable distance :laughing:

3 Likes

We should prod each other onwards! Go, Ajott, go!

3 Likes

94.5K here but will see the target maybe next year.

2 Likes

I bet you could hit 100K this year!

3 Likes

Good job everyone! I’ll be content reaching 200k this year. Trying to cut down on my screentime and read more books… so far unsuccessful.

6 Likes

I must read book books - when iNat suspends the ‘it was just a joke on a friend’ identifiers, but leaves a LONG row of disgruntled identifiers fighting the algorithm which defends their right to be wrong. 13 IDs minus the observer who started with the correct species, minus 3 ‘joke we are NOT laughing’ IDs … we have moved it from Life to Genus.

1 Like

Did some pre-mavericks today. I need to take a break from iNat. It’s my procrastination crutch. I have so much I need to do.

8 Likes

there will always be more when you’re ready to do more identifying. enjoy your break! hope you get done all the rest of the stuff that you need to do.

8 Likes

But some of those things you’re procrastinating about will go away if you ignore them! (From an experienced procrastinator.)

11 Likes

A very effective strategy. Ask me how I know?

6 Likes

Well some of those things will hopefully lead to money coming my way which I can’t ignore now that I just spent almost $1,000 at the emergency veterinary hospital. Wanted to get my rabbit in ASAP and get ALL the tests because she’s a senior. Also had her stay at the vet overnight because I was having trouble keeping my car cool in Friday before holiday traffic. Also they might have wanted to do more tests in the morning depending on results of first tests and I didn’t want to make her ride in the car for another 4-5 hours (total, not each way) if I had to go back. Luckily it is just a mild sinus infection and getting her pain meds right away helped to stop her from going into GI stasis. Got to go give her antibiotics now, which she hates.

4 Likes

Good luck with the contracts and the rabbit!

3 Likes

In case any of you are bored, there are over 85,000 verifiable City Nature Challenge observations that are Unknowns: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?iconic_taxa=unknown&identified=false&place_id=any&project_id=city-nature-challenge-2023&quality_grade=needs_id

Those 85,000 are about a fifth of all verifiable Unknowns.

(Personally, I’m not that bored yet.)

5 Likes

If you hit a “dicot desert” somewhere in the first-day obs, that’s where I’ve been having fun lately, widening its scope. ;)

2 Likes

So many dicots, so little time. I can understand why some plant identifiers want these Unknowns to go to Family or even Genus, rather than Monocot/Dicot/Conifer/Fern/etc., but I feel productive if all I’m doing is weeding out the animals, fungi, and non-dicot plants for them. Otherwise, they’ll stay at Unknown forever.

6 Likes

I did a bunch … but this exhausts me so much fatser then doing spiders :-D

4 Likes

Forever Unknown, Eternally Dicot RIP :rofl:

I am going to delete some of my URLs. I will never even start with, It’s A Plant, in Africa (altho, I am tempted to hunt for something obvious hidden there). For my sanity I have to stay with URLs where I can see the tunnel, if not any light at the end of.

PS procrastinating in the Forum as I have 100 notifications to look at.

6 Likes

No worries, I have a Plantae url so I got your back (eventually). ;)

4 Likes

17 thousand African plants at family at least
It was 13K when I bookmarked the URL.

30K at It’s A Plant in Africa

But, when I get there, will start with low hanging fruit.
Pre-Mavericks in Africa

3 Likes