#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Lol!!! Does this happen to anyone else? I see this fairly often: id’ers who write their proposed ID in comments, but not make an actual ID Suggestions

Yes, I know people who are doing that and I’m also doing that.
If you aren’t sure and you don’t want to make any mistake or don’t want to be disappointed that your ID is wrong, you write it in the comments. On the other hand, if other users make an ID suggestion with my idea I get kind of angry because I was right (and the person “stole” my ID!!!). It’s like a competition, “who’s the most correct and first identifier”…

So to sum up: Do not write your ID suggestion in the comment, actually, suggest the ID! You can be right or wrong, you have a fifty-fifty chance ;)

1 Like

I avoid going all the way to species if I’m not certain. That way if someone just agrees with me because they think I know what I’m talking about (often the observer), it won’t go to research grade.

4 Likes

I must say, I think it’s funny when I ID an Unknown to Fungi and the observer agrees with me. I guess at least I know they did want the mushroom IDed!

2 Likes

I think often in cases where it is an unknown, they either don’t know how to add an ID or forgot to add an ID. That they know what it is. It’s very easy to click “agree”.

1 Like

Many do that with every id, just clicking agree on every new added id, it’s kinda funny that they didn’t know what it was yesterday, even a large group, and today there’s a “knowledge” of subspecies, this button clearly needs to be renamed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have often considered leaving snarky comments on such observations. But it is possible that that person indeed did some research in between, so I give each individual one the benefit of doubt. Of course it’s obvious that most of them didn’t do anything like that in between.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Which reminds me, I need to learn how to tell apart the two mantises (mantids? manti?) we have here.

1 Like

Mantidae, since I have learnt they are not all Mantis

Aha! Thanks - I’m learning all the time!

I really need to start learning to identify gulls. I have several nice field guides but I’ve always just thought of gulls as being totally un-IDable. But the number of my observations that have been identified tells me they aren’t, and the number that haven’t tells me they’re difficult and not enough identifiers focus on them.

1 Like

I struggle with my right hand for last week and overll health for last days, so couldn’t id for too many days, I think I can now, but I’m kinda scared of getting in pain again, I’m sorry for insect posters, I’ll try to do it today.

5 Likes

Hope it gets better soon!

4 Likes

I think mantids is the preferred collective common name

i thought xxxids referred specifically to a given taxonomic family. mantis in the common sense could be species, genus, family, or even order. so if talking among regular folk, i would think of “mantises” as encompassing the most types of these creatures.

2 Likes

Is mantis not like species - unchanged for singular or plural?

I’ve never heard of it used that way. I think mantises or mantids are correct, but mean slightly different things.

1 Like

Mantids is a short from Mantidae though, so not really a common name, but a used one.

Wikipedia:
Historically, this was the only family in the order, and many references still use the term “mantid” to refer to any mantis. Technically, however, “mantid” refers only to members of the family Mantidae, and not the 14 remaining families of mantises.

Ah, I did not realize they were in multiple families. TIL that these guys are not mantids: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=81926&user_id=lappelbaum&verifiable=any

2 Likes

Hey, I learned something!

3 Likes