Identifying for others on my phone

I much prefer using the Identify feature on desktop, but like you I cannot resist filling my spare moments with some ID time. Here are some things I do to make it a little easier. I am an Android app user, some things may differ between our operating systems.

• The app crashes for me a lot while identifying (or needs a restart as it will not let me search and add a new ID). I try to keep an eye on the date and restrict the date search to where I remember I left off so I can save myself scrolling past observations I already IDed.

• The app does not yet have the ability to filter out reviewed observations. The best way to chronologically stay on track is to use search filters to sort observations by Date Observed and try to search within date ranges such as within one month. To avoid seeing reviewed observations if the app crashes mid-session, you can switch between the Date Observed being Ascending or Descending. I usually go through as far as I can either way and if it crashes and I cannot remember the range of observations I have yet to review, I jump to the next month. You may miss some observations in the middle but you can get back to them on desktop Identify.

• The app will slow down the more you ID as it is caching all the photos you have seen before. To fix this, go into your app settings on your phone and clear the cache regularly.

I hope these help.

2 Likes