IDing Cartoon Bats

Apparently it’s international bat appreciation day. I thought I would put together a social media post for the nature center I work at with a little information and encouraging some bat love.

Well, this has quickly devolved into peering closely at different Canva graphics as I attempt to find a cartoon bat that resembles any of the species we have in Minnesota. After eliminating the Halloween bats and the Batman bats, there are a some cute realistic bats, but they seem more like some kind of fruit bat.

I guess it’s time to find a public domain photo of an actual bat, but has anyone else spent too long trying to identify something stylistic that is clearly not meant to be identified?

2 Likes

Ask my nearest and dearest how many times that they’ve heard some variation on “just what species of (dragonfly / damselfly) is that supposed to be, anyway?” In other words, guilty.

There’s a quote from the sci-fi series Firefly that gets used around here a lot: made with longing. The scene it came from goes like this.

Inara: Does it seem every supply store on every border planet has the same five rag dolls and the same wood carvings of… what is this? A duck?
Kaylee: That’s a swan. I like it.
Inara: You do?
[Kaylee strokes the swan carving.]
Kaylee: Looks like it was made with… you know, longing. Made by a person really longed to see a swan.
Inara: Perhaps because they’d only heard of them by rough description.

It’s a rather useful concept for situations like this. :smile:

6 Likes