In phenology graphs, exclude observations marked as "Recent Evidence = yes"

When observations are marked as “Recent Evidence” but the organism is not present, there is almost always a discrepancy between when the living organism was there, and when the observation of the evidence took place. This is problematic when observers/identifiers assign phenolgy annotations, such as life stage. An observation of an exuvia from a cicade, for instance, marked as “Adult” but the observation is in winter, creates false data points on the phenolgy graphs.

In the DQA, it describes “Recent Evidence” as evidence of presence up to ~100 years ago. This leads many to the impression that “Recent Evidence” is only to exclude fossil evidence, but I believe it is to indicate that there is evidence the organism WAS HERE, but that it is NOT HERE RIGHT NOW. I believe the creation of the phenology graphs supports the idea that observation date should be indicative of the date the LIVE animal was there.

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/life-stage-annotations-for-recent-evidence-observations-e-g-leafmines-galls-juvenile-feathers/7993

There seems to be a split within the community as to whether this is the case or not. I put forward the argument that a feather can’t have a lifestage applied to it because the lifestage applies to the living organism that it came from. That feather was never an egg, for instance… and that exuviae is not an adult, but is the exuviae shed by an adult. This view that I expressed received support from some, and pushback from others.

This discrepancy in how the community views whether “recent evidence” in the form of feathers and the like should or should not have lifestages associated with them can be solved by excluding observations marked “Recent Evidence” from the phenolgy graphs. The only other solution is to mark observations that have both phenology annotations and “Recent Evidence” as “Date Inaccurate”, which would no doubt be just as polarising within the community.

@kiwifergus I clarified your title slightly (I think) - but feel free to edit further if not…

No, it’s actually the opposite! I had always thought marking as “recent evidence = yes” meant “I see evidence that it WAS here, but it’s not here now”. I see situations where it is not set at all as being the default “organism is alive and present in this observation” situation.

To clarify where I think the confusion comes from, I read “recent” as being close to now, but NOT now…

There have been discussions previously about the accuracy of dates vs place, and an iNat observation is defined as organism in a place at a time. I see the “recent evidence” flag as being an indication that the organism is not present at that time, but was at some stage recently.

Hmmm, I’ve always taken the Recent Evidence DQA to mean this – organism was here sometime in the last 100 years (or not).

That being iNat’s definition, Recent Evidence=Yes could mean anything, including that the organism was present right at the time of observation. Recent Evidence=No, on the other hand, would be a clear reason for excluding an observation from observation and phenology statistics. But since No results in Casual status, I suspect that is already what happens.

Delete the feature request, it is clear I misinterpreted its use.

OK, will do.