iNat Milestones

Winged insects are hereby declared angels - they have wings sprouting from their backs in addition to the normal appendages!

8 Likes

And, surprisingly, here we are already. I made it to 1,000 wild observations today!
Honestly, past this, I don’t know just what milestones await me. I’d love to get 2,000 observations (or maybe even 5-10k) one day, but that may be far, far along in the future.
I think iNaturalist has helped me a lot in learning to live in the moment. I’ve certainly enjoyed the many hours I’ve been able to spend on this site, in the field, or anywhere in this community. Thank you.

13 Likes

(Went to Kirstenbosch today and I have come back to … 274 notifications!)

4 Likes

I know of a prolific iNatter, who will remain nameless, who I happened to notice at a demonstration once had several thousand notifications awaiting. Boggles the mind!

4 Likes

Had been observing this number for a few days, but now I missed the exact point colombias observations passed the 1 Million mark due to the last 3 days being very busy for me… still cool!

14 Likes

Just hit 1500 species in this project that I curate. Creeping closer to 10,000 observations.
watson1500

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/watson-preserve

12 Likes

I have only been using iNat for a few months, so I don’t have the big numbers yet. But I just passed 2,000 IDs (many US Needs-ID birds).

14 Likes

Nicely done! Here’s to many more in the future! :partying_face:

1 Like

Also, yesterday marked my 1 year anniversary of being on the forum!

12 Likes

Thank you! I think identifying from photos is going to improve my being able to identify in the wild.

3 Likes

Identifying has certainly done that for me!

Here’s an ID milestone for all of the other Star Wars fans out there…

Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 23.28.31

4 Likes

One-year anniversary on iNat for me. I joined thinking that I would use it mostly to document the bees and other pollinators on my balcony. But while I waited impatiently for the fuzzy red mason bees to make an appearance and herald in the spring, I started discovering all the other things that iNat had to offer.

I didn’t expect it to become a major new hobby. But now here I am, with around 1800 observations and a bit over 1000 species, most of them made within the city that has become my adopted home. My balcony species count is up to around 200, which is far more than I expected to find (even given that I’ve been fairly exhaustively documenting anything that moves and I can manage to photograph).

A special shout-out to a couple of enthusiastic spider people who kindly took on the challenge of helping me figure out the identity of the architect of an orb web on my balcony that I uploaded without really expecting anyone to ID it. And whose obvious interest in my eight-legged flatmates also helped reconcile me to the unexpected appearance of dozens of baby orb weavers a month or two later. It was the first time I had a sense that my observations were useful and valuable to someone besides myself – even while they weren’t necessarily the ones that were the most meaningful or exciting to me.

I didn’t initially plan to become involved with the IDing side of things, either. But around the time I joined, there was a school project in the general region that resulted in a lot of daffodils being ID’d as primroses and drone flies as bees, and I realized that there were actually a number of species I recognized, even though I had until recently been only a fairly casual nature-watcher. Turns out IDing is rather addictive; it meets a need for sorting/organizing which I find helps keep me centered, with a side of research and learning and cool discoveries that I get to enjoy second hand. I’m not tallying my ID count here because I fear it says more about way too much time spent on iNat than anything else.

20 Likes

Same for me :grin:

8 Likes

I know nothing about the addictive properties of IDing. Nothing whatsoever.

12 Likes

I crossed 200K in Bee identifications, with 188K of those as Bombus. More states knocked out, map with my Bombus ID’s excluded:

Anxiously awaiting the new season’s observations to come pouring in.

19 Likes

I know it’s not a massively high number but I was pretty pumped to reach my 200th observation the other day! Considering I rarely find myself anywhere but home or work I’m pretty proud of 200 :smiling_face:

https://inaturalist.ca/observations/150163941

16 Likes

Thank you for the bombus ids! I find most of them perplexing!!!
And I will be out the door and ready for them… as soon as spring c r e e p s in!

3 Likes

400 observations! Nice!

6 Likes

Congrats!

(Your shot of the Buffleheads is nice, too.)

2 Likes